Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity Monitor

Hello Friends.

My question is the following. I am experiencing screen freezing or lack of responding to commands with my MacBook Pro. I tried to find the reason. In the Utilities I went to Activity Monitor to check CPU usage. I found that ther is a process named AntiVirus, which takes about 125MB from Intel. As I am aware that apple does not need any antivirus, I decided to quit the process. When I tried to do so, I got the following message: "The process “AntiVirus” is owned by root. To quit the process, you must enter an administrator password." I don't know who the "root" is and what will happen if I quit the process. And why on earth should there be an Antivirus process if I use none? Please help me with your suggestions to solve the problem.

P.S. As an addendum, I'd like to mention that I used to have a Mackeeper on my Mac (it was many months ago). Then I deleted it from the applications. Maybe the AntiVIrus process is the "offspring" of the Mackeeper, which I deleted?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:16 AM

If you used the Mackeeper uninstaller you may not have gotten all of it. Check this link:

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/

When you get rid of Mackeeper, see if this AntiViris comes back.

Ciao.

6 replies

May 5, 2012 9:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Do you mean that if I do not knowingly download any suspicious material from the web malware and trojans will never be a threat? It is sometimes impossible to make a correct choice, though. I mean there are times one desperately needs to install something even without being sure that "something" is harmless.

Thank you for your help and support, Ciao.

With peace and love,

Vardges

Activity Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.