Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is OS Lion incompatible with my previously bought Word and Excel?

After OS Lion installation pre migration to iCloud, I can't access Word or Excel - greyed out no entry sign and error message when try to open. "You can't open the application Microsoft Word because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Didn't see any warning of this pre-installation. Didn't see any warning of this pre-installation. I paid for these two softwares and use them daily on my iMac. Need an urgent fix to access previous files. Any solutions to install a fix perhaps, and then re-install the software from my back up? Plus any Apple solutions to no longer having iWeb?

iPad3-OTHER, Other OS, iPad3 compatibility issues

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:29 AM

PowerPC applications won't run anymore in Lion.

Lion dropped Rosetta.

11 replies

May 5, 2012 9:34 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Grazie. Thanks for your reply. Just read all the similar postings here. I understand, but incredibly frustrated. I have just spent money on an OS Leopard in order to be able to upgrade to OS Lion, and now will lose access to Word, Excel and iWeb. All forced on me in order to stay loyal to my MobileMe account moving to iCloud. The most testing time I have had with Apple since I joined in 2004. Back to my iBook which I haven't upgraded yet to write up everything I need tonight.

May 6, 2012 8:26 PM in response to perssons

MS Office upgrade is the best solution (although many report incongruities opening up old Word/Excel files in some cases. If you have similar problems, or finance is a big issue, consider installing Snow Leopard into Parallels 7 in Lion. It has solved some spreadsheet graphing problems that I have in Excel 2004 documents, when they are opened in Excel 2011. So I continue to use Excel 2004 for these documents:

User uploaded file

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3913218?start=0&tstart=0

May 6, 2012 9:40 PM in response to perssons

perssons wrote:

After OS Lion installation pre migration to iCloud, I can't access Word or Excel - greyed out no entry sign and error message when try to open. "You can't open the application Microsoft Word because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Didn't see any warning of this pre-installation. Didn't see any warning of this pre-installation. I paid for these two softwares and use them daily on my iMac. Need an urgent fix to access previous files. Any solutions to install a fix perhaps, and then re-install the software from my back up? Plus any Apple solutions to no longer having iWeb?

Unfortunately, given that your MS Office software is 8 years old, your only stable way to keep working with them is to either update to MS Office (preferably 2011 but 2008 will work) or else start to change your workflow by using such programs as iWork, OpenOffice, LibreOffice etc. I have Office 2011 installed and have had for some time, but am starting to find it very cumbersome compared to the alternatives, probably because it is Microsoft software.

Plus by using iWork (Pages in particular) you will find a constant and compatable folw across your iCloud devices. There are hacks around as you will find, but keeping an uncomplicated and compatable system is the answer to a smooth running OS.

Good Luck

Pete

Jun 14, 2012 10:10 AM in response to perssons

Lots of programs don't work anymore. Sure, they're "old." Which is to say that Apple taken it upon itself to force us to upgrade, costing big money.

My parents upgraded to Lion, lost access to all the Microsoft suite (excel, word, etc.). They also lost Quicken and several other programs. They're pretty annoyed.

I was considering upgrading to Lion, though I really like Snow Leopard. The one and only reason I would do so is because of the iCloud "upgrade." After seeing how many programs they've lost by upgrading, I'd rather stay with SL and avoid iCloud. Honestly, the hassle that it would cause to go to iCloud with every other program I use daily isn't worth it. I'm going with third-party programs to replace iCal and Contacts, the first time I've ever done that, in years and years of using Apple computers. I'm not switching from Apple, because I've always used them, but their behavior with Lion (a forced, rushed "upgrade" that from most accounts pretty much s u c k) and iCloud ($29 to upgrade to Lion so you can use it, then $500 to replace all your programs that you lost) is surely losing them business.

Not that they care about their loyal customers. They're sitting on their pretty billions.

BTW, annoying when they censor the word s u c k. That is the actual description of Lion, is that why it's censored?

Is OS Lion incompatible with my previously bought Word and Excel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.