Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb device not recognized

Hi Any time i plug mt iphone 4 in i get message usb device not recognized what can i do to fix this i am runnung Windows 7

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:58 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2012 10:51 AM in response to koot700

On you iPhone, force close all the Apps in the multitask window.

Follow these steps to force an app to close:

1. From the Home screen, click the Home button twice.
  2. Tap and hold on the app.
  3. When it starts to jiggle, tap the User uploaded file to close it one by one until all cleared

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Now do a Soft reset of your iPhone:

Hold both Home and Sleep button for around 10secs until you see the Apple logo then release. After it returns to Home screen, connect to sync and see if this resolves the issue.

If it doesn't, follow steps below:

1. With your iPhone plug in, right click My Computer >> Manage and select Device Manager in the left tab.

2. Expand Portable Devices >> right click Apple iPhone >> Uninstall
3. Unplug and plug your iPhone again, now wait for windows to re recognize your iphone [ In Device Manager, you will see the new recognized Apple Iphone ]
4. Press F5 to refresh your windows explorer and your Apple iPhone will show up with a camera icon.

Aug 15, 2012 11:25 PM in response to koot700

I spent hours and hours on this, and finally figured out and fixed my problem. However, this solution is ONLY good for Windows 7 N or Windows 7 KN. To find out what version of Windows you are running, follow the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-op erating-system-am-i-running

If you are running Windows 7 N or KN, the sad truth is that your OS does NOT HAVE the software needed to connect your iPhone as a digital camera! However, the good news is that this is easy to fix. The fix is at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

I installed that, and everything just magically started working the way it was supposed to.

usb device not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.