Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

If you got the "scary" message that you could not activate iPhone 4S neither by Wi-Fi or iTunes, I want to share my experience:

I decided to reset my iPhone 4S, and used "Erase All Content and Settings" under the reset menu (Settings/General/Reset), I was hoping that the erasing just does that, but for me the nightmare started!

I was taken to the activation screens, and begun with the welcome one, choose language, choose location services (later on it also disappears) and selecting Wi-Fi and/or iTunes for activation.

I chose a Wi-Fi network the process started, and gave me a message that it will take about three minutes to activate iPhone, few minutes later a screen with this message appears: "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable."

Then, I decided to try the activation using iTunes…

Using iTunes, after few minutes, it shows the following message: "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. The iTunes Store is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

I tried several times in both ways, trying 4 different Wi-Fi networks and 3 different computers in the whole process, and I was going desperate! I started to find out some info about this trouble over the Internet, and guess what? I was not alone! But I did not find any answer or solution either!

Finally, I joined Apple Support Communities, and started searching with no good luck at all, until I found (many hours later) this old (2009) solution:

+Do a DFU recovery:+

+1. Open iTunes.+
+2. Connect the iPhone+
+3 Press both the home and sleep/wake buttons until the Apple icon appears (ignore the red slider if it shows).+
+4. Continue pressing the home button alone until iTunes sees your phone in recovery mode.+
+5. Follow the prompts to restore the iPhone.+

(THANKS A LOT!!! modular747 and Easily Easy, you saved me!!!)

Then I suggest everyone to use this, of course it will erase everything, but you may be able to recover your data from your last backup, or you can also choose to configure iPhone as a new cell phone.

The process took me about 92 minutes, but it was worth it, now I own an unlocked iPhone 4S (it was an AT&T when I purchased from Apple Store in November) and is working perfectly!

Hope it is useful for all of you facing this trouble!

Good luck and enjoy your iPhone then!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:59 AM

I was getting the eternal "no service" message, and despite knowing my phone would be erased, I did a back up and have been trying this method to restore it for two days now. No joy. It restores firmware and seems like it's going all the way, but just that bloomin "We are unable to continue with your activation at this time", every flippin time.

I'm totally fed up now. I just wants a phone that works!

I'm using an iPhone 4s on Orange in the UK - I'm starting to wonder if Orange are the problem now?

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2012 1:59 AM in response to jhidrowoh

I was getting the eternal "no service" message, and despite knowing my phone would be erased, I did a back up and have been trying this method to restore it for two days now. No joy. It restores firmware and seems like it's going all the way, but just that bloomin "We are unable to continue with your activation at this time", every flippin time.

I'm totally fed up now. I just wants a phone that works!

I'm using an iPhone 4s on Orange in the UK - I'm starting to wonder if Orange are the problem now?

May 6, 2012 5:34 AM in response to SoupySoupySoup

That's it! I bought my phone 2 days ago, initially my texts to other numbers and iMessages worked - for about half a day, but since then my iMessages take 2 hours to go through and my texts are non operational. I've done the hard boot thing and the advice on apples pages, but I think the logical hung is to call my service provider. I'm with t- mobile, uk. Who are quite matey with orange.

May 8, 2012 1:41 PM in response to Mamaheffo

Update so far... spoke to Orange the other night, who put us through to their own Apple team. The team member checked the forums on here and, suprisingly, someone had posted on here, with the very same problem as I had. Fancy that! I didn't like to tell her it might be me.

Anyway, I was able to tell them I'd tried the processes outlined in this thread and elsewhere on this forum, and they suggested I contact Apple. So off to the Apple Store I went, yesterday. The people at the Genius Bar were lovely, and also tried all of the processes in this thread - so we know that this normally sorts the issue out. My sim was tried in a couple of new phones and it turns out it's either the sim or Orange at fault, as we suspected. Apple , to their credit, were ready to offer me a new handset if it turned out to be the handset at fault.

Phoned Orange back who tried to tell us it was Apple's fault(!). After a bit of persuading, they're now sending out a new sim. Apple have said the original sim looks like it's been activated but there's something not right about it. Fingers crossed, the sim works and the phone activates.

And I'm getting a major phobia for fruit! Not buying a flippin blackberry!

May 10, 2012 2:51 AM in response to SoupySoupySoup

Hello again, well I did phone T-mobile, who were very helpful once I got through to speak to someone ! I went through the steps of on/off , hard re-boot, etc no joy.

Then, we went to Settings - phone - My number - which just had lots of zeros. I didn't realise, I needed to pop in my phone number (with the +country code minus the zero if anyone is trying this) and now my imessages and text messages are operational.

Just one thing. On settings - messages - underneath imessage it still said activation unsuccessful, despite it working. i had to turn it off then on again then the message disappeared.

now i,ve just got to work out why my ibooks and apps are only partially linking between my ipad and iphone.... boardz has linked, and icloud, and my music. But not other apps. Is the only solution to link it to a computer? Can you connect an ipad to an iphone?

Oct 16, 2012 8:38 AM in response to jhidrowoh

I had the same issues. I took it to the apple store and it activated immediatley. However when trying to update to IOS6 we had many problems. We could not upgrade it even with iTunes connection. The unit turned out to be a dud. I had it replaced. Lost the engraving. I am truly shocked that Apple could ship a dud unit. Do they not burn test?

Jan 7, 2013 2:41 AM in response to jhidrowoh

I tried the process and was happy to note that there was some process that I managed to start because the process did start ...

However to my disappointment, landed back at the same status which says

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

Please try again later, or contact customer care

I was using a GEVEY sim unlock with iOS 4.1 since (almost) last 2 yrs now in India on Vodafone. But as Apple designed it, there were several apps including Whatsapp, Facebook, Gmail and LinkedIn that stopped functioning due to the iOS updates and the subsequent (I guess 'mandatory' App updates). Finally yesterday I thought of updating to the iOS 6. As soon as I did that, I have been left with no choice but to see the above message.

The process by jhidrowoh starts corectly but iTunes doesnt give you the option of restore only ... it is forcefully clubbed with update and the button that is displayed in the dialog box that appears on pressing 'Restore' in teh recovery mode, shows 'Restore and Update' and as soon as the iPhone is restored, it automatically updates the iOS as well to iOS 6 and hence leaves you hanging in the stale situation.

Guys ... Need the data desperately ... Can anybody please help???

Jan 9, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Abhimanyu Khandelwal

I am having the same problem, I have unlocked the phone and yet still I get stuck at itunes

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

I don't know what else to do! I have placed in an att sims card and my straight talk sims card that works on other phones, and there is no hope. I get no service on my phone, even after many restores, and itunes won't even show me an option to restore it back to an old backup.

What do I do guys? My phone is an utter brick for 2 days now.

iPhone 4S could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.