Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac has had a sudden decrease in wifi download speed

Hello,

My iMac has had a sudden decrease in wifi download speed. Upload speed hasn't changed and all othe connected devices still work as normal (the iPad still clocks in at around 30mbps and the iMac used too, now it's at 5.0 mbps). How do I fix the iMac?

We have determined that it is not the internet provider and I have exahusted my ideas on how to get the speed back. Please help if you can!

Thanks!

Tom

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:32 AM

17 replies

May 5, 2012 11:50 AM in response to Webmason1

My recommendation would be to change your DNS settings, if you are using the defaults those are supplied by your ISP and could be your problem. If you are not familiar with DNS settings please read CNET's DNS Article and MacWorld's DNS Troubleshooting and then change them to:

1. System preferences

2. Network

3. Click Advanced

4. Click DNS tab

5. Click + sign

6. Add 208.67.222.222

7. Click + sign

8. Add 208.67.220.220

9. Click OK.

10. Exit System Preferences

May 6, 2012 8:16 PM in response to Webmason1

Do you live in a suburban area, if so you also might be fighting for channel bandwidth with your neighbors. Download and run iStumbler (Google it) and check to see what channels you and your neighbors are using, most routers default to channel's 5 or 6 so if you and your neighbors are all using the same channel then all you need to to do is switch to another channel. Let iStumbler run for about 20-30 minutes to get a good overview of the area.

iMac has had a sudden decrease in wifi download speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.