Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 2 iPhones

I went abroad for several weeks and used my old iPhone3S with a local sim card and bought pay as you go data roaming.

I had with me my new iPhone4S which I used just for text and phone calls - data roming switched off.

Have returned home but a problem: I have lots of new Contacts and Voice Recordings and Notes on the old iPhone and want to integrate them to the new iPhone4 which has become my main active phone again.

What is the best way to do this without duplicating masses of info?

I am not using iCloud yet.. BTW

iPhone4S is version 5.0.1

iPhone3S is verision 5.0.1

Mac Pro1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3GHz 5GB RAM + L9 + Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MacbookPro OS X (10.6.8) Logic late

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2012 12:16 PM

Backup your iPhone 3GS in iTunes, then restore that backup to your 4S:

1. Disable automatic syncing on connection in iTunes Prefs > Devices > Disable....

2. Connect the 4S and right-click the divice tab (left border of iTunes window) and select "Restore from backup." You should see a list with a choice of the 3GS backup. You may not, then have to do a full restore by selecting "Restore" on the 1st page, then chosing to use the backup in the last stage. This will also update the phone to iOS 5.1.

iOS 5.0.1 - Jailbroken? If so, a full restore will partially remove the jb, and possibly fail with error 1015 or 3194.

Message was edited by: modular747

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2012 12:16 PM in response to musicspirit

Backup your iPhone 3GS in iTunes, then restore that backup to your 4S:

1. Disable automatic syncing on connection in iTunes Prefs > Devices > Disable....

2. Connect the 4S and right-click the divice tab (left border of iTunes window) and select "Restore from backup." You should see a list with a choice of the 3GS backup. You may not, then have to do a full restore by selecting "Restore" on the 1st page, then chosing to use the backup in the last stage. This will also update the phone to iOS 5.1.

iOS 5.0.1 - Jailbroken? If so, a full restore will partially remove the jb, and possibly fail with error 1015 or 3194.

Message was edited by: modular747

May 5, 2012 1:08 PM in response to modular747

Thanks but iPhone3GS has only a few weeks info that I want to keep.

Are you certain that iTunes will not erase the existing 4S back up?

If I back that up and restore it on to the 4S it will wipe out all the months of stuff on the phone that I need to keep.

Question: is it possible to have two entirely different back ups on 1 iTunes account?

Using 2 iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.