Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS is missing

My Boot Camp is not working properly.

From Win7, I tried to "restart in Mac OS X" from the boot camp options yet when my computer restarted, it logged into windows.

I tried to restart my iMac manually then hold the option button but the Mac hard drive was not there. It only showed the windows hard drive.

iMac

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:54 PM

12 replies

May 5, 2012 2:57 PM in response to Zarcallana

Zarcallana wrote:

My Boot Camp is not working properly.

From Win7, I tried to "restart in Mac OS X" from the boot camp options yet when my computer restarted, it logged into windows.

I tried to restart my iMac manually then hold the option button but the Mac hard drive was not there. It only showed the windows hard drive.

Your Boot Camp is working fine, OSX however is not, if the Mac hard drive is actually missing your machine is borked and you will need to reinstall OSX.

May 5, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Zarcallana

Sounds like you recently did your Boot Camp Windows installation during which you had to format the Windows partition on the drive, but you mistakenly formatted the entire drive for Windows and lost the OS X system. Unfortunately, the only fix is to reinstall OS X from scratch during which you will need to repartition your hard drive. You will lose your Windows system which you will need to redo once you have reinstalled OS X.

What version of OS X were you running?

May 5, 2012 3:21 PM in response to Kappy

No I did not format my drive into just Windows. I partitioned it with 150gb for Win and 750 for Mac.

Running a 10.6.7

I recently tried to open disk utility with my installation cd. Mac OS was not verified so I verified it. Then it told me to repair the disk, which I did. Apparently the repair failed and now I have to back up all my files. then re-install it. Would I lose even my Windows files or just the ones in my Mac partition? I don't really have a back-up and I dont use time machine. Need to know so I can start prioritizing my files.

May 5, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Zarcallana

Zarcallana wrote:

I was able to load up recovery partition, and I am accessing safari from here too. Background is all gray and tried to verify and repair, it says that my Mac OS drive is corrupt. What should I do in this partition?

Reinstall Lion from the Recovery Partition, your applications and your data should not be affected, once you have done this buy an external drive and a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to make an incremental clone of your drive, and then back it up as often as you can!

If Lion can not install then there are 3rd party utilities that may help, if not, an erase and reinstall is going to be the last resort.

If you had made a clone before this happened you would have been using the Mac partition long before this thread got this long.

Mac OS is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.