Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When booting up, my macbook pro chimes, shows the white/grey screen for a couple seconds, then everything goes blank and it doesn't boot up. any idea what that means?

Hey All,

When I boot up my MacBook Pro (Unibody 17" 2011 model), it maks the CD noise, chimes the apple chime, then shows a grey/white screen. normally, this would progress to a grey screen with the apple logo on it, followed by the login screen, however in my case, the computer seems to just shut down. the fans keep running, so i know it isn't powering down completely. i can't change the volume/etc. after the computer has done this, so i'm assuming it isn't a display issue (also the display flashes white). does anybody know what this sequence of events is a symptom of? i'd really like to get my computer working again...

sami

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on May 5, 2012 2:47 PM

15 replies

May 5, 2012 2:50 PM in response to thisissami

also probably good to note is that i cannnot do an SMC reset or a PRAM reset. when i try to hold the PRAM reset buttons nothing is different from before. when i hold down ctrl-option-shift-power to reset the SMC, after 5 seconds or so, the LED light indicating that the computer is on (on the front of the machine) starts flickering on and off really quickly for about 2 seconds, after which it turns on and has the regular sequence of failures. nothing happens to the LED on the charger.

sami

May 5, 2012 2:53 PM in response to thisissami

You can try a system reinstall:

Reinstalling Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion: Select Reinstall Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You can also re-download the Lion installer by opening the App Store application. Hold down the OPTION key and click on the Purchases icon in the toolbar. You should now see an active Install button to the right of your Lion purchase entry. There are situations in which this will not work. For example, if you are already booted into the Lion you originally purchased with your Apple ID or if an instance of the Lion installer is located anywhere on your computer.

Apr 29, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Pad2290

Seems no-one ever had an answer for this eh?

I have the same problem, Macbook Pro was working fine, shut it down, a couple of days later tried to turn it on, the white/grey screen comes up, it chimes, then before the Apple logo appears and the spinner starts to indicate the OS is booting, instead the white/grey screen fades to black.

Upon further investigation, it seems like its booted up but the LCD has powered off.

If I press the power button after it has booted, I can hear HDD activity whilst it goes into sleep mode.

Once its gone into sleep mode, I can't wake it however, subsequent press of the power button makes the led on the front illuminate as if its coming out of sleep mode but a few seconds later if starts snoring again.

If I didn't know any better, I would say the back light on the LCD had gone, but it hasn't. If I force power it off and then power it back on again, I can get the breif illumination of the white/grey screen before the same thing happens.

May 8, 2014 4:07 PM in response to healeydave

This is my situation exactly, I think. My 2012 13" MacBook Pro machine chimes upon pressing the power button, the screen goes to gray-white you'd normally see upon boot, then after a second or less fades to black before the spinner ever shows up to indicate the OS is booting. Additionally a subsequent press of the power button makes it appear as though the machine is going to wake up, but it doesn't. Power cycling it makes no difference; the same sequence of events occurs. I can't boot into verbose mode, nor can I boot into the recovery partition with Command-R, nor can I pick a partition to boot from by holding down the Option key. Note that unlike the original poster I AM able to do a PRAM reset (Command-Option-P-R), however, it made no discernable difference. I haven't tried an SMC reset yet. Did you ever figure out a solution?

When booting up, my macbook pro chimes, shows the white/grey screen for a couple seconds, then everything goes blank and it doesn't boot up. any idea what that means?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.