Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I switched from iPhoto to Aperture, now "Source clip is missing".

I did a lot of family videos in iMovie from videos imported into iPhoto. I switched about 6 months ago to Aperture from iPhoto. I decided to go in add to each of my kid's projects in iMovie, and now all the clips say "Source clip is missing". Huh? There's a HUGE black eye for anyone switching to Aperture. Please... anyone know how to resource those clips that are now part of the Aperture database?

I'm really surprised Apple didn't think of this! Unless I'm missing something??? Help!... thanks

Posted on May 5, 2012 3:08 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2012 3:46 PM in response to ezrasuncle

Is your iPhoto library still there? I guess I am asking if you added the iPhoto to your Aperture via a referenced import, or did you bring it in as managed and delete the iPhoto Library?

I brought mine in as referenced so I can use both iPhoto and Aperture, and the iMovie links still worked. However, I have now moved my home folder to a second drive (rather than the SSD) so Aperture no longer sees the referenced iPhoto originals.

May 5, 2012 3:56 PM in response to ezrasuncle

I don't know a way to undo. However, if you are running Time Machine, you might be able to restore your iPhoto Library. At that point, you will be using double the space for your photos, but the iMovie links should still work.

You could potentially delete the managed iPhoto files out of Aperture at some point and use the referenced iPhoto files. I would suggest you ask this same question in the Aperture discussions, since I am pretty much a newbie at Aperture.

By the way, you should be able to tell if you are using managed or referenced for the former iPhoto photos by right clicking on one and finding the Master in the Finder. If you go to an iPhoto folder, you are referenced. If the Master is in Aperture, it is managed.

I switched from iPhoto to Aperture, now "Source clip is missing".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.