Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change name of TextEdit/Trash

It looks like some icons names cannot be changed in OS X Lion via the Resources technique? I used to use the tips from this thread in Leopard and Snow Leopard but now the game seems to be up:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1489329?start=0&tstart=0

I would, normally, replace the app with a copy of itself to overwrite the name but Lion won't let me delete the original because the OS needs it and like I said, the Resource lproj trick doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to change the name of the Trash or TextEdit app?

Thanks

MacBook (white), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:12 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2012 2:49 AM in response to Hamper

Changing the name (or location) of the TextEdit app, or any of your other Apple apps as well as some third-party apps, will cause it to stop being updated and can cause apps to stop functioning altogether. Apple didn't make it difficult to rename such things just to mess with you! There are reasons.

As for the Trash, the only way you could rename that is by hacking a system somewhere, which is never a good idea. You could very easily break something in the process.

Just leave the names alone. There are much better and safer methods of self-expression.

Change name of TextEdit/Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.