Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes U: how do you restart stalled downloads?

Sometimes a course item will get stalled downloading, so you press the Stop button and it stops and you can press the Download button to start again. No problem. However sometimes an item gets stuck and you press the Stop button and nothing at all happens - you can't stop it, even though it's stalled.

I've tried turning Wi-Fi on and off, turning Airplane mode on and off, end-tasking the iTunes U app, even power-cycling the iPad, and it just won't allow you to Stop it. I even deleted the whole course and started again - but it got stuck downloading the same item. Because the item hasn't completely downloaded you can't even edit the course to Remove it. And of course this blocks all of the other downloads in the queue so you can't download any other content.

One item in particular that always seems to stall part way through is the following:

iPad and iPhone Application Development (SD)

9. Table Views (October 25, 2011) - SD

When iTunes U gets stalled like this, how can you get it to wake it up again?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:10 PM

11 replies

May 5, 2012 6:40 PM in response to Always_Learning

Well, I still haven't figured out how to un-stall a particular item, but at least I have been able to work around it...

Step 1: Connect your iDevice to a computer and sync it with iTunes. This will backup all of the content that you have already downloaded completely.

Step 2: On your iDevice, go to the iTunes U Library page, press Edit, select the course and press Delete.

Step 3: Go to the iTunes U Catalog, find the course you just deleted and Subscribe to it again.

Step 4: On your computer, sync with the iDevice again. This will restore all of the materials you'd already downloaded for the course.

At this point you can either start downloading other items or risk trying to download the stalled one again. At least you haven't had to download everything from scratch.

Hope this helps,

AL.

May 9, 2012 4:37 AM in response to turingtest2

It happened again today. Good idea, but I'm afraid it doesn't work.

Whilst in iTunes U you can swipe left-to-right on an item to bring up the Delete button it only works on items that have already been fully downloaded - no effect on items you haven't downloaded yet or that are still downloading.

What I did notice earlier while it was working, though, is that items marked for downloading in iTunes U appear in the Downloads section of the iTunes app. But this item that's stuck downloading today doesn't appear there - so it would seem that the iTunes download manager has given up trying to download it, but iTunes U hasn't figured that out yet so is still showing it as downloading.

If it helps: new iPad; iOS 5.1.1 (9B206); iTunes U 1.1.1 (410)

Looks like I'll have to do the Sync/Delete/Subscribe/Sync dance again for now...

Jun 4, 2012 9:45 AM in response to Always_Learning

This how to do it. Open iTunes app on your device. Note, the actual iTunes app. Not iTunes u app. Click on the bottom right button called Downloads and you will see the podcasts from iTunes u there stuck. Swipe them left to right and you get a delete button. It is weirded that downloads in iTunes u are managed in another app but it is true. Took me ages to find this solution lol, I hope it work for you.

Jul 4, 2012 5:36 PM in response to ultrakyo

ultrakyo,

Short of doing a full Backup & Restore of your iPod/iPhone/iPad, give the following less-drastic solution a try (it's worked for me a few times now):

- Sync your iDevice with iTunes on a computer.

- In iTunes U on the iDevice (not the computer), delete the offending course.

- In iTunes U on the iDevice, search for the course and re-subscribe to it.

- Sync your iDevice with iTunes on the computer again, this will restore all of the items that you previously downloaded.

Then you can try downloading the broken items again. Good luck!

iTunes U: how do you restart stalled downloads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.