Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GeForce GT120 upgrade Mac Pro

Hello All, I have a Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 2 - Nvidia GeForce GT 120 cards. I have begun to have problems with them, as my screens seem to be freezing, even when I am not really doing anything laboring on them. I would like to upgrade both of them, and I would like to know what my options are with this model Mac Pro. I do a lot video editing on this computer, and I have a bigger job coming up, and I would like to eliminate this new problem.

If there is a program that might be able to help me with what is going wrong, or to check to see if something else is wrong with the computer, I would also like to try that.

Thanks for your help.

-Bill

Mac Pro

Posted on May 5, 2012 5:43 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2012 6:16 PM in response to PaintedCanvas1975

The replacements still available are the Apple firmware 5770 and 5870. But the 5770 requires on aux power cord and the 5870 requires both aux power cords. Either of those cards can run three displays, but you must follow all the rules and use just the right adapters to run three.

The GT120 was the standard and add-on for the 2009 model. It should not really be having problems, unless your Mac is dusty and is getting too hot inside, or one of the fans is not spinning. Each GT120 should be able to support two displays by itself.

GeForce GT120 upgrade Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.