Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I get firmware for Samsung DVD burner SE-208AB

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:16 PM

Both Apple and Samsung endorse this machine as compatible with Mac but Samsung does not provide firmware for Mac use

10 replies

May 7, 2012 11:08 AM in response to lilrippa

I am surprised it does not work right out of the box. Samsung clearly state that it is Mac compatible:

"Good news for MAC users: the Samsung Slim External DVD Writer is not only completely compatible with MAC OS, it has received Apple’s official approval. So whether you prefer MAC or Windows for PC, you’re always in business."

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/optical-disc-drive/dvd-rw/SE-2 08AB/TSBSA-features

I use the very similar Samsung SE-S084 which works a treat.

May 8, 2012 6:37 AM in response to Klaus1

Thanks to you all, I am now further advanced.

The SE-208AB DOES work straight out of the box! My confusion came about because it is difficult to properly place the disk on the tray due to 3 little spring loaded lugs that stick out beyond the diameter of the disk's hole.

I realise that this is to make the disk secure but it could easily damage (enlarge) the disk's centre hole (since it has to be forced) and this could make the disk wobble in time.

Because of this I assumed (wrongly) there must be some software to retract these lugs when the tray is opened.

My Hi Fi friends are paranoid about enlarging the holes in their CDs.

Otherwise the SE-208AB is working well so far except it won't play back .vob files that I have converted from MPEG4 files using Flv Crunch (free version).

(Yes, you guessed it, I'm a novice at this but am learning quickly, in no smal part due to the generosity of forum contributors... take a bow, one and all!!)

May 8, 2012 8:39 AM in response to lilrippa

Yes, you have to pull the tray out as far as it will go.

it won't play back .vob files that I have converted from MPEG4 files using Flv Crunch (free version).

That is a software problem, not the Samsung.

.vob files should play in VLC if you have that. It may be your conversion that has confused it. Try converting to something else using mpegStreamclip:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

which is free, but you must also have the Apple mpeg2 plugin :

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

(unless you are running Lion in which case see below))

which is a mere $20.

May 31, 2015 5:00 PM in response to Klaus1

Update to this thread. I have used this same drive for several years without problem. After upgrading to Yosemite on my mid 2009 Macbook pro the drive no longer appears to work. When I put a CD or DVD, or even blank CD-R in the drive. The green light flashes a few times, but nothing shows up on the desktop. I cannot locate any support page for this drive on the Samsung site. I'm concluding that they have stopped supporting this drive and new drivers are no longer available. A bit sad for a device only 3 years old.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.