Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro MID 2010 FRONT USB DROPOUT ISSUE

Hi guys,

I have an 8-core mid 2010 MP

Clean install of lion 10.7.3

Copying over MOV files from USB card reader plugged into the front USB Port of my machine. I get great transfers, then every 2-3 times I get a dropout, which cause me to loose and corrupt my Files.. A real scary thing when its wedding footage!!!

I also noticed my keyboard has issues every few hours of use with the front usb ports. Whilst typing this, my keyboard died twice!

Its random.. Any suggestions??? This is driving me crazy!

Also notice its both USB front ports, and the FIrewire is fine.. Sometimes it seems like the USB 2.0 ports after a fail, transfer files at USB 1.0 speeds..

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:13 PM

8 replies

May 6, 2012 7:44 PM in response to danielfromascot vale

The keyboard represents a unique problem for USB.

It uses almost all of the allotted power for a USB port all by itself. It only has enough power left for ONE low power mouse such as the Apple mouse. The second USB on the keyboard is ONLY for convenience of plugging in either left or right handed mouse. Any other device plugged into the keyboard can cause both the keyboard and the other device to malfunction.

May 6, 2012 8:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Okay, well I wasn't aware of this.

So if I have my tablet and Keyboard plugged in to USB (seperately), and have a SD card reader downloading a heap of footage, I could encounter an issue? Although what you are stating may be accurate, I would imagine that make USB devices very limited, imagine editing from a USB hard drive with keyboard and tablet.. How do the pro do it? Im up for suggestions...

Mac Pro MID 2010 FRONT USB DROPOUT ISSUE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.