Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming movies to ATV 1

I understand it's possible to stream a movie from itunes on my PC to my ATv 1st generation. Correct?

Apple support tells me:-

1. Open the Settings > Computers.
  2. Highlight the Add Shared iTunes Library menu item and click Play to continue.
  3. Apple TV generates a unique passcode. Make a note of the passcode.
  4. Open iTunes on the shared computer.
  5. Select Apple TV in the Devices list and enter the passcode. The problem now though is that although a code appears on my ATV screen, when I select my ATV in iTunes 'devices' no code appears so I can't continue any further. Assuming I can get this passcode if someone can tell me how to, what do I then do to actually stream the movie? I presume I start it playing in iTunes, but what do I select with my ATV to view this stream? Thanks.

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:11 AM

10 replies

May 6, 2012 1:23 AM in response to beachboy999

A single iTunes library can sync with AppleTV - the synced content is listed under My Movies, My Music etc

This synced library also has a confusing trick up its sleeve in that by default it will also stream itunes content to AppleTV provided iTunes is running on the same network - the content of My Music etc will change dynamically depending on whether or not iTunes is running assuming there is more in itunes than can be synced to AppleTV 1.

At least 4 other libraries can be configured to stream only - their content appear under My Shared Music, My Shared Movies etc.

If you right click on the AppleTV device in itunes - does it have Turn Off Syncing or Turn off Streaming?

If it has Turn Off Syncing it sounds as though it's alreeady configured and should be streaming. If you have a custom configuration under the itunes device in itunes you can disable streaming with a 'show only synced items' option that stops AppleTV displaying additional content under My Music etc.

In AppleTV's Computers>Settings the sync library is the top one listed on the screen - others are streaming only.

If you have created a sync connection, you cannot create a shared library connection to the same iTunes, there'd be no point.

AC

May 6, 2012 1:26 AM in response to beachboy999

beachboy999 wrote:

what do I then do to actually stream the movie? I presume I start it playing in iTunes, but what do I select with my ATV to view this stream?

No, you select in on AppleTV under My Movies for a sync library or My Shared Movies for a streaming only (shared) library.

AppleTV1 does not support video Airplay initiated in itunes or on an iPhone/iPad etc.

AC

May 6, 2012 4:04 AM in response to Alley_Cat

"AppleTV1 does not support video Airplay initiated in itunes or on an iPhone/iPad etc."

Thanks AC for that but now I'm really confused. If the above is the case then how can I ever stream video from iTunes to my ATV?

As for :-

"No, you select in on AppleTV under My Movies for a sync library or My Shared Movies for a streaming only (shared) library."

I don't understand this either! When I go 'Movies' on my ATV, there no 'My Shared Movies' option, only 'My Movies'. In there I have a couple of movies I have synced to the ATV and they are playable and stored on the hard drive. I 'simply' want to play a movie in iTunes and view it on my TV without syncing and storing it on the HD.

Finally, re'

"If you right click on the AppleTV device in itunes - does it have Turn Off Syncing or Turn off Streaming?"

It has 'sync' & 'turn off syncing' but no reference at all to any streaming options

Thanks again for your help and I apologise if I'm a bit slow understanding this but as you may now realise, all this streaming thing is very new to me (although I've had my ATV for a few years) so an easy and very basic step-by-step guide would be very welcome.

We ARE talking about the ATV 1st generation are we? Just to sure!

May 6, 2012 5:02 AM in response to beachboy999

Yes we're talking AppleTV 1's.

Read my post a couple of times to see if it makes sense.

You set AppleTV 1 to communicate with iTunes using the code that appear on teh TV from teh Settings>Computers menu.

"If you right click on the AppleTV device in itunes - does it have Turn Off Syncing or Turn off Streaming?"

It has 'sync' & 'turn off syncing' but no reference at all to any streaming options

Thanks again for your help and I apologise if I'm a bit slow understanding this but as you may now realise, all this streaming thing is very new to me (although I've had my ATV for a few years) so an easy and very basic step-by-step guide would be very welcome.

You made such a connection a few years ago when you first had it.

There are TWO communication modes but iTunes can only be set to ONE of the TWO at a time.

You are set to Sync mode - this allows you to copy material from iTunes to AppleTV to watch when iTunes or computer are not running. By default this works automatically.

Because you are set up for sync mode you cannot also set up the Shared communication but it matters not as Sync mode also incorporates sharing rpovided itunes is running and you have not checked the 'show only synced content' option for the device in iTunes.

When you select the AppleTV device icon in itunes what tabs do you see?

Are you set to custom sync or Automatically sync?

AC

May 6, 2012 5:05 AM in response to beachboy999

To clarify - by 'streaming' I mean that the content is not stored on AppleTV's drive but is sent across the network from itunes to AppleTV as you watch, the selection having been made in teh Apple TV menus.

AppleTV1 does not support Airplay streaming i.e. starting playing in itunes and choosing AppleTV to send it to.

They're essentially the same except that AppleTV1 says to itunes 'send me True Grit' to watch, whereas with Airplay iTunes says to AppleTV "I'm sending you True Grit to play'.

AC

May 6, 2012 5:16 AM in response to beachboy999

beachboy999 wrote:

.... as you may now realise, all this streaming thing is very new to me (although I've had my ATV for a few years) so an easy and very basic step-by-step guide would be very welcome.

Not sure about basic but:

Apple TV Setup Guide

The setup guide is a bit useless and vague in my view as it only tells you about the sync pairing.

http://www.apple.com/support/appletv/1st_generation/

May 6, 2012 5:38 AM in response to Alley_Cat

"When you select the AppleTV device icon in itunes what tabs do you see?

Are you set to custom sync or Automatically sync?"

I see 'Settings' & 'Photos' tabs. In settings I have tried both options. Currently set to 'Automatic'.

As for software, yes it's 3.02.

Will carry on doing some reasearch and studying the links posted.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

May 6, 2012 5:42 AM in response to beachboy999

If you change to Custom you get more control over syncing - on Automatic itunes syncs new content and things you haven't watched before stuff you have watched. May or may not suit you.

Try looking say at the list of My Movies on AppleTV with and without iTunes running - if your library has more content than AppleTV can hold the number of movies will change depending on whether or not itunes is available to stream the others that haven't synced on demand.

Good that it's 3.02 s earlier versions behaved differently.

I have to say it's not the most intuitive arrangement until you get the hang of it.

AC

Streaming movies to ATV 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.