Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mba 4.2 intermittent shut down even after SMC reset

Hello,

I got a strange issue on a recently bought MBA 4.2, a week ago i start to get sudden power off, then i can't power it back using the power button, to get it start i have to unplug and plug again the power cable. then after the boot, shut down reapeats between 20 sec to few minutes...with the battery almost full and the power connected. The system is updated (10.7.3) .

After research i decide to reset the SMC (3 times now) using the proper apple procedure descibe below, it does work for few hours but the problem come again within a day or two maximum no matters witch application are in use or the power supply / battery...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Anyone went trought a similar problem? In last option i'll will reinstall lion...

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 6, 2012 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:15 AM

Have you run the Apple Hardware test & run the Repair Disk function on the startup disk from the Recovery Partition?

3 replies

May 6, 2012 1:42 AM in response to SP Forsythe

I just did the hardware test, but the mba shut down again in the middle of the test...then i try it two more times, shut down also during the test at differant steps of the test....i'm trying right now to run the repair disk function thx for the help.

Edit:

just run the repair disk utility, the SSD is fine, no error found but performed the disk repair anyway. surprisingly, the mba is stable under the repair utility, but keep shuting down when running the hardware test or Lion... i'm getting closer to the reinstall point^^ or to the trip to apple shop!

Message was edited by: karaishop

mba 4.2 intermittent shut down even after SMC reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.