Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb random save issues

This last week has been very traumatic...

I am a hardened fan of iWeb and it has served me well. However, just lately I have noticed some rather bizarre and irritating behaviour.

After closing the programme and reopening, I notice work missing despite saving.

Even while working, I can work on a page, move to another for a wile only to return to find my recent changes are no longer there. Yes I save as I go and no I do not accidentally revert to saved.

In frustration I deleted my prefence file and this worked for a few days but now I am scared to close the program.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What would you suggest in my position where I have published the site but have hours of work that I could lose if I close the app and open again.

I use TimeMachine but I am guessing as it is not saving correctly, this will not help me?

All the best,

Mark

Posted on May 6, 2012 3:15 AM

6 replies

May 7, 2012 10:19 AM in response to hostel6

You would need to close iWeb, delete the cache and then relaunch to see if that will have any effect. Also reboot your Mac.

You won't be albe to keep iWeb open indefinitely and then when it does get closed for some reason you've lost more work than you will have lost now. Are you running Lion? If so then this may be of some help:

In Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

The application also works with earlier systems.

iWeb random save issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.