Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV or Sony Wifi Dongle for Sony Bravia TV??

Hi,

I have just recently bought a Sony Bravia 40" TV. To access the internet capabilities i need a Sony Wifi Dongle.

I already have a Macbook Pro and 2 iPhones that are used within the house on the wireless network. Was wondering if i should get the Sony Wifi Dongle or skip that and get Apple TV which is about the same price??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andrew

Apple TV

Posted on May 6, 2012 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2012 4:24 AM

I have a similar set up. However, before getting my ATV3, I had gotten a
ZyXEL 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Ethernet Client, Universal Repeater, and Range Extender (WAP3205)
to use as a wireless Ethernet bridge to my TV. It's about 1/2 the price of the ATV, but it is only a bridge--no subscription service, etc.

Having said that, the ATV is amazing! The only shortcoming is that it doesn't offer Hulu Plus service at this time. The upside is that you will be able to access services through your iPhone and mirror them to your TV through your ATV--and you can get app on your iPhone. (Lastly, you WILL eventually succumb and get the ATV.)

Hope that helps your decision.

(BTW, I did not hook the ZyXEL directly to my Sony Bravia, but to my Sony Blu-ray player.)

Message was edited by: JettaRed Added comment re: hook-up to Blu-ray player.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2012 4:24 AM in response to Andy Marshall009

I have a similar set up. However, before getting my ATV3, I had gotten a
ZyXEL 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Ethernet Client, Universal Repeater, and Range Extender (WAP3205)
to use as a wireless Ethernet bridge to my TV. It's about 1/2 the price of the ATV, but it is only a bridge--no subscription service, etc.

Having said that, the ATV is amazing! The only shortcoming is that it doesn't offer Hulu Plus service at this time. The upside is that you will be able to access services through your iPhone and mirror them to your TV through your ATV--and you can get app on your iPhone. (Lastly, you WILL eventually succumb and get the ATV.)

Hope that helps your decision.

(BTW, I did not hook the ZyXEL directly to my Sony Bravia, but to my Sony Blu-ray player.)

Message was edited by: JettaRed Added comment re: hook-up to Blu-ray player.

May 6, 2012 5:32 AM in response to Andy Marshall009

Another option I prefer to wi-fi is using mains powerline network adapters such as those made by Devolo.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network-via-powerline.html?l= en

Belkin, Netgear etc also have versions of these.

One other thing, AppleTV cannot provide an ethernet connection to the TV when connected via wifi to your network.

AC

Apple TV or Sony Wifi Dongle for Sony Bravia TV??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.