Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator action 'Choose Project/Album' do NOT work

With SL 10.6.8 ; Aperture 3.2.3

With Automator 2.1.1, about all Aperture actions are OK, .. BUT 'Choose Projects/Albums'.

Automator runs in a endless loop gathering the Aperture info....

• Automator wheeling)
  • List field remains empty.

Strange, beacuse other action 'Get Specific Aperture Items' is OK, and gives a correct list, which in turn can be forwarded to other actions.

Wanted to do some smart 'Export images' for web Gallery.

The actual Web export is not open sourced !!

The best,

William

PS :action code inside Aperture's Library folder is labeled v2.0 2009/09/11

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 6, 2012 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2012 10:30 AM

'Choose Projects/Albums'.

• Automator wheeling)

Hello, William,

Really an endless loop? On my new MBP I have to wait for three minutes and watch the beachball spin, but then the list appears and <i can select the projects. Maybe you just have to wait till the action finishes? How large is your library? And is it on a local volume?

Regards

Léonie

P.S. Right now I am testing with Automator 2.2.2; maybe an upgrade would help? What is your Aperture version?

If it is really hanging infinitely - have you tried the Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics - repair permissions, repair database, trash Preferences?

1. Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2012 10:30 AM in response to William F17

'Choose Projects/Albums'.

• Automator wheeling)

Hello, William,

Really an endless loop? On my new MBP I have to wait for three minutes and watch the beachball spin, but then the list appears and <i can select the projects. Maybe you just have to wait till the action finishes? How large is your library? And is it on a local volume?

Regards

Léonie

P.S. Right now I am testing with Automator 2.2.2; maybe an upgrade would help? What is your Aperture version?

If it is really hanging infinitely - have you tried the Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics - repair permissions, repair database, trash Preferences?

1. Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

May 7, 2012 1:40 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your follow-up Leonie 🙂

SL 10.6.8 ;

Aperture 3.2.3

Automator 2.1.1,

I'm on a MacPro 3,33Ghz 12G ram, so plenty of speed/memory.

The action ''Get Specific Aperture Items' with Name = "voeux" return in 3 seconds !!!

Aperure files on local disk.

Did this morning a 'Repair Permission', run in 28 seconds. Did not solved the issue.

Did this morning a 'Repair Database', run in 4 min 20 seconds. Did not solved the issue. (I did let the Aotomator Action last 10 minutes !!!)

Did this morning a 'Rebuild Database', run in 62 seconds. Did not solved the issue neither.

Note : I did never experienced any Aperture database problems for now. (cross your fingers).

On launching action 'Choose Project'

I did wait more than 4 minutes (still spinning)

User uploaded file

It may crash Automator in some cases (deleting the action while still spinning)

Process: Automator [1866]

Path: /Applications/Automator.app/Contents/MacOS/Automator

Identifier: com.apple.Automator

Version: 2.1.1 (247.1)

Build Info: Automator-2470100~2

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [292]

Date/Time: 2012-05-07 09:50:37.836 +0200

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 41661 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 12

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 16406 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Anonymous UUID: 13289615-A30A-4C2D-9F4A-75278A1C453C

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000057

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:

objc[1866]: garbage collection is ON

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x00007fff84a4498a FindItem(OpaqueCollection*, unsigned int, int, unsigned long*) + 18

1 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x00007fff84a5e56a FindFirst(OpaqueCollection*, unsigned int, unsigned long*) + 42

2 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x00007fff84a5e6cd GetTaggedCollectionItem + 52

3 com.apple.HIServices 0x00007fff830d9d46 GetIndexedReceiveHandler + 28

It's buggy, Point.

Guess there is an Aperture's API mismatch with the two action scripts modules loaded by Automator.

/Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/Library/Automator/Choose Albums.action/Contents/Resources/Scripts/

./main.scpt

./actionViewController.scpt

William

May 7, 2012 2:13 AM in response to William F17

I've another Mac : MacBook Air which runs Lion 10.7

Same Aperture 3.2.3

Automator 2.2.2

And guess what ??

Both Automator actions 'Choose Projects/Albums' are working (quite fast on a very little database).😁

😟 Pity is that my main computer runs SL 10.6, and not ready to go with L 10.7

Let's hope Apple Inc. will still fix this issue ....

Thanks for the clue,

Best regards

William

May 7, 2012 2:51 AM in response to William F17

Are you on Lion ?

Lion and SnowLeopard, both.

But when I did my last test I was sitting on my Lion MBP, sorry. I had used that action before in SnowLeopard and thought it was still working.

I just repeated the test with SnowLeopard and it is not working for me either any longer. I do not even see the beachball, just nothing. Only when I press one of the buttons all or none do I get an error message. 😢

As a work around: The "Find Aperture Items" action seems to work fine. You can set it to search for Albums or Projects. That might give you the result you need.

Regards

Léonie

May 8, 2012 3:22 PM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie (or anybody else who can help me!),

I've been trying to solve the exact same problem this evening, and I've eventually concluded that both the 'Choose Albums' and the 'Find Aperture Items' (with 'Albums' selected from the drop-down) can only find albums which are inside Projects, and cannot find albums which are not (i.e. are just in a folder).

For example, I am able to use Find Aperture Items (but not Choose Albums, incidentally) to find an album called 'Landscapes' which is inside a PROJECT called 'Portfolio', but not able to find an album called 'Landscapes' which is inside a FOLDER called 'Portfolio'. (Note the folder is not inside anything else, just under the Library heading in the inspector).

Since I store my portfolio as a set of albums inside a folder, and do not want to store it as Projects inside a folder (as this would require the photos to be moved to that project, rather than residing in their original project and having a reference to them in the album), can you suggest any way that I can use Automator to find these albums which are not inside folders and hence export my versions?

Thanks 🙂

Edit: I should mention that when I try to use Choose Albums to find anything I get error messages, and when I try to use Find Aperture Items to find albums which are not inside projects I simply get no results.

Also, I'm running Automator 2.2.2, Aperture 3.2.3 and Lion 10.7.3.

May 17, 2012 10:58 PM in response to William F17

I find out 😁 that with another account on the same computer, and thus with a different Aperture Data-image database, I could get Projetcs or Albums lists through the Automator functions.

So now I'm investigating why on one particular database - even having it fully rebuild - I could not get that list ...

I noticed that in the particular Aperture database, there were a bunch of 'referenced images' that where broken. (actual file of images was not at the right place anymore or deleted).

So I did delete those "black" looking 'referenced images' in Aperture.

And now the clue : 😎 There where some 'Projects' -possiblily some Albums- which contained solely those lost

'referenced images'. They too looked black and where noted with a '0' as for indicating the number of images

After deleteing those empty Projects, I finaly could have Automator showing me the list on 'Choose Albums' or 'Chose Projects'.

=> This issue should be considered as a buggy behavior on some extra conditions in Aperture's.😠

The best , William

May 17, 2012 11:18 PM in response to William F17

Sorry,

Seems that is its not stable.

When I took my very first Automator script, it did not worked out.

New test after closing the apps (Automator, Aperture) do not succeed, even by recreating the script from scratch with only one entry "Choode Album".

Now when I click on the 'Cancel' button, I get :

User uploaded file

So ... I still need a little help from Apple's support ...

Automator action 'Choose Project/Album' do NOT work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.