Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wacom bamboo stylus ? does it actually work

Hi All, following my missus looking in an Art magazine she saw an advert for a Tablet made by Wacom it seems to plug into a computer etc. etc. and costs £1500 no joke.

However my missus already has an iPad2 and the ArtRage software so i am thinking that the stylus made by the same firm does exactly the same thing for a LOT less money LOL.

BUT my local Apple store tells me that the only object that works on the iPad touch screen is a soft fleshy finger !!!!!! and no way should anyone use a stylus.

So do these Stylus Pens actualy work ?, they seem to have a tip like the eraser on a pencil !!!.

tim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iPad 2, iPhone 4S

Posted on May 6, 2012 12:58 PM

10 replies

May 6, 2012 1:26 PM in response to timmy toad

I have been using a Targus stylus with my iPads 1 and 3rd generation with great success. I do a little doodling in a couple of art apps as well with them. I am not a talented artist by any means and I think that it is more getting to know how to use the tools in the art apps than what device that you use to create the strokes. What I mean is whether you use your finger or a stylus, the real skill is in using the appropriate brush tool, pen tool, etc that the apps have to offer.

Take a look at this one, which I actually found about here on the iPad discussion site.

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/08/29/jot-precision-stylus-touch-screens/

I love my Targus stylus for typing and all of the basic touch screen functions of the iPad, so don't be quick to rule out the use of a stylus for a drawing tool.

May 6, 2012 1:59 PM in response to timmy toad

The Bamboo stylus is an wonderful stylus, even weight, firm tip, and it has a really nice over all feel, but at the end of the day, it a capacitive stylus. The Wacom's tablets use battery free digitizers which work similarly to capacitive touch screens (some also are capacitive so that you are able to use your fingers as well.)
Capacitive styluses (sp?) work by having a tip made of a capacitive plastic like material and/or a tip filled with capacitive material.
As for using the iPad as a replacement for a Wacom tablet, I'm not sure exactly how you would go about that, or if it can easily be done. There are tablets that cost considerably less than $3000 (~ £1500), such as this one: http://goo.gl/di23y

May 6, 2012 2:33 PM in response to timmy toad

What the previous poster was trying to convey, I believe, is that, altough ArtRage is a great program and the Bamboo stylus is nice, you're till not going to get the same results you would from a dedicated graphics tablet. Graphics tablets are generally pressure sensitve and, with the included stylus, capable of much finer lines than can be achieved with a capacitive stylus on an iPad.

Jun 5, 2012 4:46 PM in response to timmy toad

The Bamboo works alright but its too expensive, there are waaaaaaaayyyy better styluses out there for nearly half the price. Most styluses are the same frankly and the only thing that changes between them is the weight. there is however a new design in styluses thats brand new which uses a metalic looking silk microfiber which glides effortlessly compared to its rubber tipped cousins. some examples are the nomad brush (which im not a fan of frankly) and more importantly the TruGlide by LYNKtec.

if you ever have the chance to actually test a microfiber stylus like the truglide against a rubber one like the bamboo or alupen, try it. it will be extreeeeeeeeeemely clear that the microfiber is better. here's a link to a truglide on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/TruGlide-Capacitive-LYNKtec-capacitive-touchscreens/dp/B00 7KAQ7AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338939368&sr=8-1

wacom bamboo stylus ? does it actually work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.