Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my display go black while Mini is still on?

My screen (AOC) goes black about 7 min. after I stop using the keyboard. The Mini light stays on. If I hit Space Bar, my music starts right up. But nothing on the screen. The only way I have been able to reactivate the screen is to shut down - manually - Mini and restart. THx.

Mac mini, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:24 PM

11 replies

May 7, 2012 6:24 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD,

Appreciate your interest.

When the problem started both the Display and Computer were set on 15 min.

Since then, trying to correct it, have tried various combinations.

Nothing solved the problem so for several days I went thru process of shutting down/restarting many times.

These are the current settings. It's working i.e. my Display screen stays on. (But I know it's not ideal solution).

User uploaded file

Both Computer and Display are set to Never Sleep.

Put the hard disk to sleep whenever possible is checked.

Also checked is Wake for Network Access and Allow Power Button to put Computer to Sleep.

User uploaded file

The problem started about 2 weeks ago when we had two power outages on the same day - so that might be a factor or simply coincidental.

May 7, 2012 10:42 AM in response to sallyfrommiami

Does anything ever appear on the AOC monitor screen during

the time the Mini appears to be doemant?

When iTunes can be heard is the Mini's LED glowing?

Does Mini feel warm to the touch when dormant for

a half hour or so?

Can it be wakened by simply nudging the power button

or does it take prolonged pressure and full re-start?

Have you restarted in Safe Mode to see if you can

reproduce the problem?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Good luck, sally, Tom

May 7, 2012 8:18 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Hi Tom,

Appreciate your willingness to help. In answer to your questions:

1) No. When screen is dormant it is totally black except when I initially press the Space Bar I get - in tiny white letters, for just a moment, in center of screen - "No Signal."

2) Pressing the Space Bar also activates iTunes - if it was playing when I stopped using the keyboard. And Yes, the LED is glowing.

3) Is Mini warm when dormant? Since I've been active all night, I can't tell you right now. Getting ready to do something else for a while and, unless the Reset per BD has fixed something, it should go dormant and I can check the temp.

4) Nudging the Power button does nothing. Have to do complete re-start.

5) Have not tried a restart in Safe Mode. BUt I will tomorrow and report back to you.

THx for your suggestion.

Why does my display go black while Mini is still on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.