Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unreasonable render times - What's wrong?

I have an iMac with the i7 processor, 12 Gig of memory and the high end graphics card.

I have a 20 SECOND video I am sending out to render for an AppleTV (second Gen/720) device. Thus far, it has taken over 10 minutes and it is less than 1/4 rendered. Seriously? FinalCutPro X didn't take this long to "render" it to 442 to view it full quality in the editor.

This can not be right. I spent $2500 on this "fireball" and this is the best I can do with a 20 second video? I am going to be working on full length films and 20 minute long videos. If this render time is standard, I will be waiting for days to render a film to just an AppleTV format.

This simply can not be right. How do I tell what's clogging this up?

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:31 PM

2 replies

May 7, 2012 1:13 AM in response to kb8wfh

kb8wfh wrote:

... . If this render time is standard,...

This simply can not be right. How do I tell what's clogging this up?

no, not standard.

on my ol' MacMini C2D/8GB a Project gets exported within 'real time'.

but ....

render-time is determined by two factors:

• is your 'system set-up' ok? you have blazing fast hardware, but is the rest in perfect/intended shape? all apps on intended location? all data in intended location? ... hard to tell from remote. a very nice common mistake for example is, to install an 'OS partition' on the internal hard-drive (for whatever reason ...) - if this partition is too small, doesn't offer enough room for the OS and apps to 'breath', esp. encoding instantly needs hours ... there're many other 'mistakes' optional ....

• complexiity of Project: a multi-layerd timeline with -zillions of effects, color corrections etc etc needs some rendertime - for my hobbyist's projects (max two tracks, some re-timing for slowmos, custom made titles/transitions) this usually happens in the background. I'm actually helping someone with a 4min 'music video' on an i5 Mac, 4-7layered multicam clips, and even without proxies we happily work in real-time.

hard to tell from remote.

you like to add a full screen screenshot of your Project/FCPX?

Unreasonable render times - What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.