Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace FW port WITHOUT replacing logic board

Ok so I know everyone including apple says that you have to replace the entire logic board if your FireWire port is damaged however spending $400 for a new logic board on a computer that might cost not much more than that isn't a smart choice financially. I'd rather find a way to solder on a new FireWire port.

I have the 13" black Macbook core duo 2.0GHz and I already spent $200 replacing the hard drive, memory and battery so I really can't spend anymore money on this thing before it becomes stupid. I would have just bought a brand new mac mini!

Anyone have some experience replacing ports on a logic board??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 6, 2012 9:01 PM

1 reply

May 7, 2012 8:01 AM in response to Neil The Real Deal

Won't work. The FireWire port is part of the logic board. Even if you could get the old one off without damaging the board, you can't get the port as a part, and then reconnecting it...no.

At least the MacBook has some functionality now. If you need FireWire, sell this one (letting the buyer know about the problem) and get a new machine.

Best of luck.

Replace FW port WITHOUT replacing logic board

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.