Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PLEASE HELP-MACBOOK PRO WON'T TURN ON....FINALS NEXT WEEK

My Macbook Pro will not turn on. It tries to turn on when I hit the power button, I can hear the CD drive, but after about a second you can hear it all slow down and shut off. It does that every time. It started tonight and Finals week is coming up and I need to turn papers in so I can graduate college...

~I've tried holding "shift" to start it up in "safe mode"

~The battery is less than a year old, and I tried removing and re-installing it.
~The charger light is on when the charger is plugged in

Please Help

If anyone knows of a way to even access my files without turning my laptop on (longshot I know) it would be very much appreciated

(Remember, finals week, and my town doesn't have an apple store, so sending to apple is out of the question)

Thanks for any help in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on May 6, 2012 11:00 PM

2 replies

May 6, 2012 11:12 PM in response to Ctaylor11

Try an SMC reset. Justifications for doing that are many but include the following:

Power

The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.

A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.

The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.

Another option might be target disk mode (start the MBP while holding the T key). You will need another Mac and a FireWire cable. This will enable another Mac to mount the MBP's volumes.

If the MBP is so inoperable that even target disk mode doesn't work, you may have to remove its hard disk and install it in an external enclosure, or conceivably another Mac. That may be the only way to access its contents.

PLEASE HELP-MACBOOK PRO WON'T TURN ON....FINALS NEXT WEEK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.