Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Quicklook and Quicktime issues...

For a while I have been trying to pin down which process causes my computer to fall apart on me.

At first I thought it was chrome and flash (playing youtube files).

But now it seems as if the problem is deeper in the OS and related to Quicktime and/or Quicklook.

I can easily bring my computer to a standstill if I quicklook some .Mov files imported from an iPhone 4. First the video starts stuttering and then there are graphics bugs (If I move a window, it leaves a trail across the screen, and other graphics anamolies). Then I cannot click on any app windows and ultimately have to force power off my mac.

Some processes cause a similar more tame version of this problem that I can at least shut down from. But this latest test with Quicklook is very bad and I have to force shutdown.

In the past I would suspect the following processes to cause the graphics issues:

-Using Logmein to access this computer or Screen Sharing to access it

-Using chrome to play quicktime or youtube videos

In reality I think it is related to quicktime since I often play quicktime in chrome and it is quicktime mov files that bring my mac to its knees. I wonder what I can do to fully clean up these issues?

Any help is most appreciated.

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:05 AM

1 reply

May 9, 2012 12:31 PM in response to drwebmail

I have pinned the issue down to Quicktime X. If I open the file in QT X the video stutters (max headroom effect) and then I get graphics problems and my system locks up for a bit. Then I can reboot. So I proceeded to get rid of Quicktime and then noticed that Snow Leopard has both Quicktime X in the Application folder and Quicktime 7 (used apparently for itunes) in the Applications>Utilities folder.

I tried reinstalling Quicktime X and it did not solve the problem. Now I have tried removing Quicktime X (drag to trash, empty, and reboot). When I went to open the file I noticed it still had the quicktime X icon and when I checked get info I noticed something called Quicktime Player Launcher was assigned to open the file. It is my understanding that this is part of Quicktime 7 though. So I did an Open with... Change All to Quicktime 7. Then I opened the file with quicktime 7 and there are no playback issues or graphics problems or lockups. I also open the file in VLC, soundtrack pro, etc and everything works fine.

However when I preview the same .mov with quicklook, I have all of the same issues and my system locks up to the point of needing a forced shut down.

Is there some way to clear the cache of quicklook or reinstall the quicklook components. There must be something corrupted in there or some Quicktime X plugin used for quicklook.

Any ideas?

Major Quicklook and Quicktime issues...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.