Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

text wrapping around graphic

I am trying to use pages to do what I am familiar with in Microsoft Publisher.

In Publisher I could have a line picture with uneven edges and select adjustable points. I would then have points outlining the shape and they were adjustable. The text would then follow this outline of my shape that I adjusted myself.

I get how to do this now in pages but I have not been able to fine tune it. Depending on the text it may be very close to the drawing on the right but not on the left. And yes I have it set to go around all sides. And if I move the object it will then be very close on the left but not on the right.

Is there any to "fine tune" the text wrapping in pages.

User uploaded file

This just seems to follow a rigid straight line instead of following the shape of the drawing. I want it to be like in a magazine where the text follows the shape of the picture. And I did do instant alpha. I have been experimenting as suggested but am not really getting very far. Maybe pages layout just isn't designed for this.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 1:29 AM

Same method as in most DTP applications.

In Pages you trace the object with the pen tool, at the bottom of the shapes menu, select both the drawn shape and the image:

Menu > Format > Mask with selected Shape

Double clicking on the shape will then let you fine tune the points.

If there is a background to the image you select it and :

Menu > Format > Instant Alpha > Paint over the areas you'd like to mask

Control the Wrap with:

Inspector > Wrap > Text Fit

Peter

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2012 1:29 AM in response to mabellucy

Same method as in most DTP applications.

In Pages you trace the object with the pen tool, at the bottom of the shapes menu, select both the drawn shape and the image:

Menu > Format > Mask with selected Shape

Double clicking on the shape will then let you fine tune the points.

If there is a background to the image you select it and :

Menu > Format > Instant Alpha > Paint over the areas you'd like to mask

Control the Wrap with:

Inspector > Wrap > Text Fit

Peter

Jan 23, 2013 12:35 PM in response to mabellucy

You can place a shape behind your graphic and make it editable in the usual way. Make sure you have grapic "Object Causes Wrap" selected. Then drag the points on it to where you want. Colour it to background colour so it is not seen. You can group it with the graphic afterwards if you want. This should acheive what you want to do. 🙂

text wrapping around graphic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.