Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a video, PLEASE HELP!!

When I'm in "Add File, Add Folder" and I try to add a video from my pc, it doesn't show. Music,photos etc:no problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with XP Home, and the latest iTunes installed. Please help! (Yes, I tried the 'Drag and Drop' method too.)

iPad 2, Windows XP

Posted on May 6, 2012 11:31 PM

14 replies

May 7, 2012 3:50 AM in response to Flyin' Otter

Your problem is, basically, the H.264 level of the video stream, which is larger than 4.1. (All scene MKV's / MP4's are, generally, level 5.1; this is why iTunes refuses to sync them.)

The solution is just changing the level to 4.1 (or 3.1); then, it'll sync the file to your stock Videos app (assuming iTunes itself is able to play the video back). There is a decent writeup on this (which Windows app needs to be used etc.) at http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/making-stock-videos-application-play-every-mp4 -files-possible

May 7, 2012 11:34 AM in response to Menneisyys

OK. Firstly thanks to all, and here’s the result:

Good: the mini video clip I downloaded via the WiFi on the iPad actually worked, and went in to the ‘Videos’ bit (more on that later..)

Bad:

The H264L software didn’t do it, Handbrake idem, download GoodPlayer, how on earth you add videos to that I’ve no idea..installed OPlayer: same as GoodPlayer result..

Dropbox works but..you can’t save the movie clip to the iPad, and can only watch it if you’re connected. PDF &Text etc: OK.

Strange:

In iTunes why is there no label ‘videos’ when it is an Icon on my iPad????

Result: not much.. the mini video clip I downloaded didn’t go in to ‘Films’ (see above) and in the Library-Films I still only get ‘Buy a Movie’ & ‘Rent a Movie’ page..nothing else, and no way to Drag & Drop.

But my brother can, no problem. He is, however, using a Mac laptop…? He even gave me a video that he has on HIS iPad2, I put it on my PC, tried to move it over and….yep, you guessed it: didn’t work.

Dear Apple, I’m frustrated, you could at least put a USB attachment cable….!!

May 10, 2012 5:14 AM in response to Flyin' Otter

Firstly I would like to say thank you to all the people who tried to help me with my dilemma. I have now found a simple way to insert movies onto the iPad2:

Firstly open iTunes on your PC, (you will need to be connected to the internet)

Then from the apps section download Flex Player, sync this to your device. (unless you’re doing it directly from your iPad)

Then, (still in iTunes on your PC) in iTunes, scroll down the apps page list until you come to the bottom where it says “ file sharing”.

Here, it will show you which apps will allow you to use a file sharing system, including from your PC.

Click on Flex Player app and a window appears on the right, then simply click on the ‘add file’ button, and that’s it. (don’t forget to sync again)

Contrary to some statements I found I could load almost any video format, including .avi, .wmv etc.

Hope this helps many confused people. Feel free to give me as many ‘points’ as you want!

May 10, 2012 5:38 AM in response to Flyin' Otter

"Contrary to some statements I found I could load almost any video format, including .avi, .wmv etc."

I'd still stick to something better. It (flex:player, http://itunes.apple.com/app/flex-player/id451024857?mt=8 ) has a very bad H.264, MSMPEG4 and OGG Vorbis video software decoder. If you ever end up having to use it (because you play back an MKV / hi-res AVI MSMPEG4 / OGG file), you'll pay dearly for selecting this format. It's one of the worst players and it severely lacks features like multi audio track / subtitle support too.

If you absolutely want something free, get QQPlayerHD ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/qqplayerhd/id434585208?mt=8 ). It has a VERY good decoder for all (supported) formats. Read http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/review-brand-new-free-video-player-qqplayerhd for a review.

May 11, 2012 2:24 PM in response to Menneisyys

Firstly I'd like to say that people should not take my comments out of context. Secondly, I was the one who found a solution to my own problem, nobody else did. That said, yes I have removed Flex Player as it did 'crash' on one video (not the others however..) I have now, as suggested, installed QQPlayerHD, which seems fine and also has the File Sharing system (mentioned in my previous postings). This, not because it's a free app, I don't care about the money. I need solutions.

Bear in mind I am not a IT expert, and I expect that a forum such as this provides logical advice, which I am sure is welcomed by many people like me. As a 'novice' I'm more than happy to help when I can.

I don't need 'Brownie Points' : in my flying career I have more than enough....

May 11, 2012 4:02 PM in response to Flyin' Otter

"Firstly I'd like to say that people should not take my comments out of context."

Sorry, your previous posts (particularly the first) didn't explicitly state you had problems because of the lack of File sharing support of the stock Videos app and not because iTunes refused to sync videos already existing in your Movies tab to your iPad. As 99,99% of the iTunes video synchronization problems arise because of the too high H.264 level, I thought the latter was the case here too. BTW, so did most other people that answered your first question by asking whether it's a compatible format (MP4 / MOV/ M4V), that is, ones that can at all put in the "Movies" tab of iTunes.

"Secondly, I was the one who found a solution to my own problem, nobody else did."

See above - you should have asked "how do I tell iTunes to sync my videos to my iPad" instead. Then, we would have told you to go to the "Movies" tab instead of asking whether your videos are at all compatible with Videos (we, rightfully, assumed you had an incompatible video). It wasn't just me that thought you had problems because of the incompatible (H.264 level) videos - again, see my previous answer.

"That said, yes I have removed Flex Player as it did 'crash' on one video (not the others however..) I have now, as suggested, installed QQPlayerHD, which seems fine and also has the File Sharing system (mentioned in my previous postings). This, not because it's a free app, I don't care about the money. I need solutions."

Sorry, I just wanted to help and in no way meant you surely chose Flex only because it's free. You haven't stated why you've selected just flex:player; hence, I thought it was it being free. After all, there are a lot of cicrumstances only free apps can be used (e.g., large enterprises with tons of iPads), this is why they, at least at first, go for free apps. This is why I recommended a free alternative.

"Bear in mind I am not a IT expert, and I expect that a forum such as this provides logical advice, which I am sure is welcomed by many people like me. As a 'novice' I'm more than happy to help when I can."

Again: no offense meant. While I do know you tried to help others, I just wanted to warn people NOT to go for flex:player because it's one of the worst players around. This is why I posted a recommendation for a much better player.

May 15, 2012 2:56 AM in response to Menneisyys

PAGES App problem

Just when I thought I had everything under control…I recently installed PAGES but why can’t I File Share? Even though I went: Devices – Apps- then scrolled down to the bottom of the ‘menu’ found the bit “File Share, the following apps allow you to copy files from your PC” sure enough QQPlayer is listed there (and that works) Penultimate is there and so is Pages, but when I try and ‘add’ a doc file it say it’s there, but it isn’t on the iPad! Yes I sync’d, yes I tried various other files (.txt , Rich Text etc, oh and by the way: from Dropbox no problems) Can anybody help?

PS: sorry, I know this should go in the iWorks section

Adding a video, PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.