Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Websites: Only 1 Connected to Mac OS X Server

I recently took a position where the previous person didn't leave much in the way of processes or instruction. There are several existing domains, purchased from GoDaddy, hosted locally on our server. I am working on adding a new site and purchased the domain below. I have changed all the zone settings in GoDaddy's DNS manager and have duplicated an existing *.conf fie in the Apache2 folder making the changes within the file to the directory and the domain name. I have also added the directory and set it to be a sharepoint as well as adjusted the permissions. Why am I still getting the screen below?

http://www.taylorscreekcottage.com/

Any help is appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X Server

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:16 AM

5 replies

May 7, 2012 8:12 AM in response to rsthilaire2008

The most likely reason you're getting the default OS X Server login is that Apache does not have a virtual host established for the server, or there's nothing in the specified web directory, or that whatever's been established is pointing to the default OS X Server web directory. That there's a configuration error.

And FWIW, the usual mechanism for managing web sites on OS X Server 10.6 is the Server Admin.app tool, and that handles multiple Apache virtual hosts - what Apple calls "sites" -- without problems. Modifying the plist files and related files directly can potentially derail use of the Server.app and Server Admin.app tools, and potentially cause problems for upgrades, etc.

May 7, 2012 9:52 AM in response to MrHoffman

Mr.Hoffman, all the virtual hosts are established in the Apache2>Sites folder. Each site has its own .conf file.

The most recent is the domain above and is created and pointing to the directory it should be. There is also an index.html in that directory.

All of the changes I made were duplicates off of a site that is live and working.

I had started with the Serveradmin in file sharing. But then was directed to the Apach folders by another mac forum user. Do you have specific direction on how the site should have been created? I am very new to this, so any questions or images I can provide would not be a problem. Thank you in advance.

May 7, 2012 3:04 PM in response to rsthilaire2008

If you're on OS X client or on various other platforms, editing the Apache configuration files is how you're usually obligated to manage Apache.

If you're on OS X Server, then launch Server Admin.app and have a look at the web management section of that tool. That tool (or Server.app, depending on your specific task and your preferred requirements) is how Apache is managed.

The downside of having hand-edited the configuration files is as stated earlier; Server Admin.app may decide to clobber what you've done.

For details on administering Apache on OS X Server, please consider reading the Apple Web Technologies Administration Manual (10.6) for an introduction. And should the Apple directions conflict with a forum poster's comments, well, then you're left to make a decision. (There are cases where I've been obligated to go past what erver Admin.app and related have to offer, but those cases have been comparatively infrequent.)

Multiple Websites: Only 1 Connected to Mac OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.