Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo in which album?

Does anyone knows how to find out to which album a certain image belongs?

Aperture can "show in Finder" or "show in project" but, as far as I know, not "show in album(s)".

For me this is a serious issue. How to know in which album(s) a picture has been stored?

Help is very much appreciated!

Rudy

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:54 AM

11 replies

May 7, 2012 7:08 AM in response to RudyMac

Hi Rudy -- Frank has helpfully supplied a script (or equivalent) that does a "List Albums Containing" action. A forum search should turn it up. Works well.

Imho, it's important to understand the distinction between "storage" and "display". Images are stored in Projects; they are displayed in Albums. (When you delete an Album, those Images remain in your Library; when you delete a Project, those Images are removed from your Library.)

Apologies if you know this well.

(Added: The misnaming of "Project" is, to me, an enormous mistake on the part of the Aperture designers.)

Cheers.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

May 7, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hello Kirby and Frank,

Thank you both for your fast reply!

Kirby, I am aware of the difference between storing images in projects and pointing to them in albums.

Frank, are you the "Frank" Kirby was talking about? I ask this because I couldn't find his hint about the script.

Do you know where I can find it?

Why would I want to know in which album my image was "stored"?

I am reorganizing my Aperture libraries now and then and albums are a way to "split" projects into subjects.

And then sometimes the question rises: is the image I am looking at already 'stored' in the album I want it or not. And: how did I solve the organization issue in a comparable other case?

It looks like the more or less same question in iTunes (in which playlist did I put my song?) or Addressbook (did I already store this contact in the group where it belongs?). These questions are very easy to solve - Apple gives a solution in both applications. But not in Aperture as far as I know!

I would really appreciate your help.

And apologies for my 'Dutch English'...

Rudy

May 7, 2012 9:59 AM in response to RudyMac

Rudy-

RudyMac wrote:

...How to know in which album(s) a picture has been stored?

It may be the Dutch/English that is confusing. You know that Albums only consist of pointers. That means images are not "stored" there. Images are stored in Projects only (managed or by reference, another issue).

So when you ask

Does anyone knows how to find out to which album a certain image belongs?

An image may be pointed at by many different albums. I would suggest that the images pointed to in any Album should have a keyword for that album. That way you can look at keywords for an image and see what albums point to that image. That is the way that I do it, works fine.

BTW your English is excellent. 🙂

HTH

-Allen Wicks

May 7, 2012 10:15 AM in response to SierraDragon

more...

To keyword the images pointed to by an Album select the Album, select all the images and add a keyword to the entire batch. I use the name of the album as a keyword (such as "flowers" or "family" or "Jones_wed" or "bride"). That way if I am looking at a random pic I can tell that the subject is in the Bride Album; and also is in the Jones_wed Album by looking at the keywords attached to the image file.

HTH

-Allen

May 11, 2012 5:30 AM in response to SierraDragon

Kirby, Frank and Allen,

Thanks again for your support. I think we can finish this discussion with the following conclusions:

• I know about the pointer question, so imo this will give no confusion.
  • I was right: there is no way to ask Aperture 'in which album did I store a pointer to this image?'
  • you gave me a nice solution - to use keywords with the album name. I will really use this hint!

Best regards,

Rudy

May 11, 2012 6:59 AM in response to RudyMac

The use of keywords is a good idea. The script I wrote while a bit slow works and will show all the albums an image is in.

The major drawback to a keyword solution is that the keyword must be added manually, there is no automatic keyword addition.

One problem I've always has with regular albums in Aperture is that there is no way to add a selection to an existing album other than dragging. You can add a selection to a new album but not to an existing album.

To overcome this I created a set of scripts that implement a Target Album/Quick collection paradigm. An album is designated as the destination album and then the selection can be directly added to that album. The script could easily be changed to add the album name as a keyword to the selection as the images are added to the album.

If your interested see Aperture Service: Target Album/Quick Collection

BTW the show in album script is at Aperture: Search albums for a specific image

regards

May 11, 2012 7:30 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you for mentioning the links. As soon as I have more time I'll have a look at them, really curious.

For speeding up keyword adding I use the keyshortcuts: Command-A for selecting all the images in the album, Shift-H for the keyword HUD, than I drag the correct keyword and drop it onto the selected image collection.

So, apart from the shortcuts for preparing, the adding takes no effort.

Regards, Rudy

May 11, 2012 8:29 AM in response to RudyMac

If you are going to the trouble of Keywording all the Images in an Album, why not just use a Smart Album?

The choice of Album or Keyword+Smart Album is tricky (and depends on how your Library is structured). From a database point of view, Albums are simply a special kind of Smart Album in which the Keyword "Belongs in Album XXX" is hidden from the user. So you should try to use Albums when you don't want the Keyword "Belongs in Album XXX" in your Keyword list. In practice, I create Keywords only when they have global applicability. If the Keyword (and thus the grouping characteristic) is not global (to the Library), I create an Album.

By way of example:

"Wedding Gown" might be a Keyword. I could create Smart Albums with different sources, so I might have an top-level Smart Album showing all Images tagged with "Wedding Gown", and I might have, for example, a Smart Album under my "M/M Smyth-Grinstein" Project which showed just the "Wedding Gown" photos from that shoot.

But, since I'm not a wedding photographer, and have just few shots of a friend's wedding I did for them, instead I created an Album "Jen in her dress" that sits under "Jen marries David". It's a beautiful dress, and I wanted to make a group of these to show her and our friends.

HTH.

Dec 13, 2013 8:48 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hey! I'm attempting to use Frank's script, but it doesn't seem to work anymore in Mavericks. Any interest in releasing the source for it Frank, or updating it to work with Aperture on Mavericks? I get a message saying the file is damaged and that I should move it to the trash. Thanks!

BTW the show in album script is at Aperture: Search albums for a specific image

photo in which album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.