Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to have endnotes that restart numbering for each section

I have read the user guide and it states:

To restart endnote or footnote numbering:

Choose “Restarts on Each Page” or “Restarts for Each Section” from the Numbering pop- up menu in the Document pane of the Document inspector.

I have created sections properly for each chapter. The numbering doesn't start over as it should. I also tried selecting the whole document and toggling the pop up menu between "continuous" and "restarts for each section" and it appears to fix the problem, but as soon as the text is deselected, the numbering returns to continuous.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:11 AM

I have tested this in Pages '09 v4.0 on OSX 10.6.8 and in the 3 sections I created the section endnotes they correctly started at 1 and counted on for that Section alone.

How have you "created sections properly"?

Peter

13 replies

May 14, 2012 6:45 AM in response to --bf

fyi: I am running 10.7.3. Based on conversations at the Apple Store, we think this update broke the feature in pages because after following your instructions, which they also tried on a Lion machine in the store, we can't get the endnotes to restart numbering properly at the beginning of the next section.

Jun 19, 2012 2:46 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter, I have the same question as BF. I'm running 10.7.4, Pages '09 4.1. I have created section breaks at the end of each of my chapters, as described above, and followed the steps in the document inspector: Inspector > Document > Document > Footnotes & Endnotes > Use Section Endnotes > Format: 1, 2, 3 > Numbering: Restarts for Each Section

the endnotes move to the end of the document, where they should be, but they are not restarting for each section.

Jun 21, 2012 11:39 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I am, yes, working on a document created in Word. I am writing a book manuscript which must have endnotes (at document end), but with numbers restarting for each chapter. From reading the other support forum entries it seems others have needed to do the same.

SInce Pages allows you to select endnotes/at document end/restart numbering for each section (and since I've divided chapters with section breaks) I had hoped this would work. If not, I guess I'll have to move back to Word.

THanks for your help,

JEnnifer

I want to have endnotes that restart numbering for each section

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.