Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I watch downloaded movies in Itunes in airplane mode?

I have 2 movies I downloaded from ITunes that I would like to watch on an airplane. I'm testing that currently and when I put the IPAD into airplane mode and go to Itunes, it says it cannot connect to Itunes because there is no network. How do I 'browse' to my downloaded movies in Itunes to watch the movie without wireless or 3G?

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G (Verizon)

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:11 AM

You are in the wrong app. You watch movies in the Videos app, not in iTunes. Look in there.

25 replies

May 7, 2012 1:04 PM in response to paulcb

Paul ....

I have never rented a movie but simple logic tells me that you would have to be able to watch a fully downloaded movie on the iPad while in Airplane mode. I look at it this way ... movie rentals would be a perfect way for iPad users to pass the time away on airline flights and Apple never leaves any dollar on the table if there is a way to get that dollar into their coffers. Why wouldn't they let downloaded rentals be viewed in Airplane mode. An authorization issue???? Methinks not.

If you download the movie directly on the iPad, the authorization takes place in the iTunes store when you rent the movie. That is the way that I read this from Apple.

Copied for the article in Limnos' first post.

Movie Rentalson iPad

SD movie rentals are in a widescreen format and have a resolution of up to 480p.

HD movie rentals have a resolution of up to 1080p1 on iPad.

• Movies rented on iPad cannot be transferred to other devices and can only be viewed on iPad.
  • An Internet connection to the iTunes Store is required to authorize playback of movie rentals.

Note: HD movie rentals do not come with an iPhone and iPod-compatible SD version.

For more information about movie rental expiration and viewing limits, see the iTunes Store Movie Rentals FAQ.

I mean stop and think about it - Apple makes money through these remntals and there is no way that you can watch a movie on a filght in Airplane mode? That is sort of counterproductive for a compnay trying to earn a profit. I would think that movies rentals on airplane flights would be an Apple Match made in heaven ... no pun intended.

Stevepug2 and Blondie needs help found a way to watch a rental in airplane mode in this discussion.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2439219?start=0&tstart=0

May 7, 2012 1:22 PM in response to Demo

Agreed, we should be able to start a downloaded and rented iTunes movie without a connection but there are many reports of just the opposite. At this point, even though I think I've started an iTunes rented movie without a connection, I now have no idea! 😕

Here's another similar discussion... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3791397?answerId=18324944022#18324944022

Oct 2, 2012 8:14 PM in response to paulcb

Just returned to USA from Europe by plane and can confirm that you can, indeed, begin viewing a rented movie on your iPad without an Internet connection.

I did not start viewing the movie on the ground and then pause it. I started viewing for the very first time while in the air with no Internet connection. (The movie was rented thru iTunes, and viewed in the Videos app on the iPad 2.)

Oct 19, 2012 5:04 AM in response to CincyDebi

I need help. I downloaded 2 movies and tried to do one tv show. Received warning...out of space. So, I deleted my son's game apps! While on iphone I can go to the movie, in the regular search, and it has a "watch" option. But, that's within the store. When I select More, Downloads, only the TV show (which didn't complete) is there.

I can see my rentals on itunes on my laptop. Instructions note to "move" them. Move them where and how? I don't see any options in the drop down menu that make sense to me. Note, I use the music app to listen not iTunes. So, please provide simple instructions. How/where do I move them so i can watch on the airplane..I have an 8 hr flight today?

Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 4:24 PM in response to CincyDebi

I have found recently that I've not been able to watch downloaded rented documentaries, on my IPad, on an airplane. This never used to be a problem. I've always preferred documentaries to movies and

have watched several during long flights.

They are stored in my videos and when I attempt to open them, I receive a permissions'

window that states that I have no permission to access the item. (Stated in different

wording.) Yet, I have no problem watching the film in a spot with WI-FI access, once

I'm off the airplane.

On the other hand, I've downloaded several TV series, and have had no problem watching

them on airplanes.

My husband has no difficulty, nor have I, watching rental movies on the IPad.

I'd love to solve this mystery, as I'm about to take a long flight.

How do I watch downloaded movies in Itunes in airplane mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.