Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daisy chained Firewire 800 LaCie d2 Quadras - iMac Finder Locks up

Has anyone successfully connected multiple 3TB LaCie d2 Quadra drives using daily chained Firewire 800 to a 2011-model 27" iMac?

Has anyone else had process lockups when connecting multiple 3TB LaCie d2 Quadra drives using daisy chained Firewire 800? How was this problem resolved?

New 27" iMac (2,7GHz i5, 2TB internal disk, 8GB RAM, OS Lion 10.7.3)). I connected two LaCie 3TB d2 Quadra external drives, daisy chained to a single Firewire 800 port. (Yes, I performed LaCie's software update to the d2 Quadras.) The finder locks up every day or two; Aperture locks up every few days. the iMac sometimes doesn't go to sleep as specified in the power saver settings. Emptying a few GB from the trash can take DAYS. Copying a 60 GB Aperture library within the internal hard drive can take many hours. Forcing a Quit of Finder or Aperture doesn't allow them to be correctly restarted. The iMac will not shut down from the menu. It must be powered off by holding power button for 6-10 seconds. VMWare Fusion 4 and MS Office 2010 are the only non-Apple software on this computer.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:28 PM

38 replies

May 8, 2012 6:59 AM in response to RRFS

Thanks, RRFS, but that thread dealt with 3TB drives that work on USB and not on Firewire 800 due to a file system issue. My problem is 3TB drives that work okay when individually connected by Firewire800, but when daisy chained, cause intermittant problems for Finder, Aperture and other applications. That thread doesn't address any daisy chaining at all.

Jul 2, 2012 9:50 AM in response to ewb55

I think I have an somehow similar problem. I've connected only one 3TB LaCie d2 Quadra and get also daily Finder lookups und totalfreeze, where I have to shut down the Mac bei using the power button over seconds. I don't know my mac since I have this harddrive. But it was the same time, when I upgraded to Lion, so I'm insecure, what is the reason for the failure. Did you found a solution for this? I would be very happy! Sorry for my poor english. Steffen

Jul 3, 2012 8:01 AM in response to leothelatebloomer

It sounds as though you have the same problem that I have. I initially thought that this happened only when two or more 3TB LaCie d2 Quadra drives were daisy-chained to a single Firewire port, but I later determined that this can happen with just a single 3TB d2 Quadra -- but it just takes longer to happen. I have a trouble ticket open with Apple Support to attempt to address this issue. Once I get a resolution, I will most likely post it here. Have you complained to Apple Support and opened a trouble ticket about this problem? You will need to be persistent, because they'll walk you through running all sorts of diagnostics and then ask you to erase your disk and re-install OSX. But, it doesn't help. I have re-loaded OSX four times. I have also opened trouble tickets with LaCie. Of the six d2 Quadras that I purchased when I purchased my 27" iMac, in October of 2011, I have sent back two for replacement. I have yet to receive the replacements, though I have emails that they are enroute to me. (If the new drives behave differently I'll post about it, here.) LaCie support told me that they do not test their Firewire drives on the iMacs - only on Mac Book Pro and Mac Pro.

Jul 3, 2012 2:43 PM in response to ewb55

When you get into the finder lockup situation, you may find that you can turn off or disconnect the power from the LaCie d2 Quadra to end the lockup of the finder. Though this will, sadly, still result in loss of data from any files that are open on the drive, this will at least keep you from needing to crash your iMac with the power button and lose data in other applications or files that are open on other drives.

Jul 3, 2012 3:16 PM in response to ewb55

Thanks for your long answer. I did't open a troubleticket with apple, but with LaCie. They told me to do a firmware Update -

LaCie d2 Quadra USB3 Updater

so it seems they have an idea of the problem. But the Updater, which is running over the terminal, did't finished the update correctly. So I'm waiting for response from LaCie. Probably they want me now, to send back the drive, because the update didn't work. We'll see!

But I'm not absolutly sure that the problem comes from the drive! On my macbookpro a have also a lot of problems, since I use lion 10.7.4. but I never run the 3TB LaCie on this mac!!! Also freezing und also the need to shut down, with the power button. Also not awaking from sleep. So perhaps it is coincidential, the new laCie an problems with lion. Therefore I spoke with apple today, and we did some things:

erasing both caches-folders of HD and homefolder. Renaming System.Configuration in HD / Library / Preferences / and erasing Launch Agents in homefolder / Library !

The supporter hat still two more ideas for my troubles in case the things above don't work:

Reset ACL and erasing a specific iCloud-file. So he wants me to call again, if the issue isn't solved. Perhaps you also want to try some of these things.

I will let you know, if my problems are solved. Because I can't use the drive for the moment, perhaps i'll never know the cause of the problem.

Jul 3, 2012 5:01 PM in response to ewb55

I have 3 different Quadra D2s daisy chained via FW800. Never had an issue in 5 years, I would resetting the SMC at least 2x. It would not hurt to reset the PRAM and also restarting in Safe Mode to clear some caches. Then of course there is the obvious like power cycyling the drives, double checking cables and removing one drive at a time to see if one has failed

Jul 3, 2012 9:20 PM in response to leothelatebloomer

I ran the LaCie updater on my 3TB d2 Quadras back in October of 2011. It did not clear up the problem of the finder hanging at random intervals. The only computer to which I've connected the 3TB d2 Quadras by Firewire 800 is my iMac. I have used eSATA on my lab PCs (Dell PCs, not Macs), and USB to my MacBook Air without incident.

My iMac was brand new out-of-the-box on April 11, 2012 and suffers intermittent finder lockups with the updated 3TB LaCie d2 Quadras.

Jul 3, 2012 9:36 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Are they 3TB d2 Quadras? Or some smaller size? What vintage is your iMac? The iMacs with which I have had problems include a 27" 2TB 2.7GHz i5 8GB iMac from October 2011, and an identically configured iMac from April 2012. I have reset the PRAM repeatedly, I have repeatedly reset the SMC more times than I can count. I have erased the hard drive and re-installed Mac OSX four times. I have taken my iMac to the Apple store four times. I have had an on-site Apple repair technician replace the hard drive and memory. I have nothing but the default Apple applications on my iMac. I have opened over a dozen Apple Care support tickets about this issue or issues that are related to or precipitated by it. Not one of these things, or any combination of them have kept my iMac from repeated intermittant lockups of the finder. You may view videos of my lockups at http://www.CapturedAmbiance.com/imac. If there is some way to thwart such lockups, I would dearly like to know about it. This situation is driving my nuts and sucking up a good portion of my spare time: I purchased a new iMac in October, and I still do not have a reliable computer to which I can reliably attach the multiple LaCie Firewire drives that I purchased at the same time that I purchased my iMac, in October of 2011.

Jul 3, 2012 11:19 PM in response to ewb55

It shouldn't matter but mine are 1.5TB, 750GB & 500GB and my iMac is a late 2007 machine. I would request an exchange from your Lacie dealer or if you have access to another iMac connect to that machine. If they work OK that indicates something is wrong with your system however re-installing the OS isn't the solution as you have found out. If the Lacie's don't work on another iMac then that points the finger clearly at the drives.

Jul 13, 2012 12:38 AM in response to ewb55

I am having a very similar issue with a 3TB Lacie Quadra connected over Firewire to a mid 2007 iMac. It is the end of a 3-drive daisy chain that includes two other Quadras, of 750GB and 1.5TB. I have the drive partitioned into three drives and use them to back up my iMac and the two other external drives overnight with Superduper.

Every couple of days I will wake up to find that any software working with those drives (SuperDuper, SMART Reporter, and BackBlaze backup agent) has hung overnight. The Finder and all other software still works, unless it needs to access any of those three drives in which case it too hangs. Trying to restart the Mac while the drive is plugged in hangs the entire system.

I have narrowed it down to the 3TB drive because if I unplug it, or disconnect the FW cable, all the above software blinks back into life (without a relaunch) and if a full system restart has hung then unplugging the drive lets the restart go ahead and complete.

So it's definitely the 3TB drive that's doing something. Should I send it back to Dabs or wherever I bought it? Contact Lacie?

There is one other confusing issue - I use Superduper to make bootable clones of my iMac and have noticed that despite the backups completing successfully in Superduper, the backup is not recognised as a bootable drive by the iMac. However if I plug in my MBP to the drive and try to boot from it there, it comes up just fine and boots.

So while I am sure I have the 3TB error described by other users here, I may also have a different FW error on my iMac? Any thoughts?

Jul 13, 2012 8:01 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I began complaining to LaCie months ago. So far, I have sent back four of my six 3TB d2 Quadras for warranty repair/replacement. I have received back two of them, but I have not yet connected them to my iMac (due to other time commitments.) LaCie admits that they do not test the 3TB d2 Quardas with the iMac; they only test these drives with the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. Apple support believes that the problem is the cables. My feeling is that even if the LaCie drive is a bad actor, the iMac should not lock up!

Owen-b, do you have the Apple Data Capture tool? It's the one that Apple Support will email to you for you to log strange behavior and return the log to them. They sent a copy of it to me and asked me to try to get the lockup to happen while the tool was running with the box checked to log file system activity. I have only tried a few times, but the lockups don't seem to happen when the tool is running! If you don't have the tool, but would be willing to try to log this lockup behavior, let me know and I'll see if I can get a copy of it to you. I would think that it would be very helpful to the Apple Support folks working on my case to see a data capture of the lockup happening.

Aug 9, 2012 2:19 PM in response to ewb55

Update: I sent four drives back to LaCie for "repair". I have finally tested the drives that were then sent back to me. * * They all cause the same lockup problem. * * I eventually ended up speaking with a LaCie rep named "Gary". He explained that the newest (version 3) 3TB d2 Quadra drives are well known to cause some iMacs to lock up, apparently due to "chip set incompatibilities". He explained that "some Macs have the problem; and some don't". He gave me the impression that he believes that Macs are assembled with various different external drive interface chip sets. If you're lucky, you get a chip set that won't cause this lockup problem. But, if you're like me, you could get two iMacs in a row that both have the chip sets that cause the lockup. There is no fix. LaCie is now sending me four prior version d2 Quadra drives. These are the v2.1 drives that have Firewire 400, Firewire 800, USB 2.0 and eSATA. (They lack the USB 3.0 ports that the current version, v3, has, but they have Firewire 400 ports.). We'll see how that works out. This also means that if I accept these drives, that they won't have an 800 mbps or better interface with any future Mac that lacks a Firewire port... which is where they seem to be heading.

Daisy chained Firewire 800 LaCie d2 Quadras - iMac Finder Locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.