Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 153 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2012 6:00 AM by Lawrence Finch Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • bbfc Level 3 Level 3 (845 points)

    Sounds like a hardware issue.

  • KieranBowley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Was never this bad until updating to 5.1.1 this afternoon.

  • HAMsmoke Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    The new battery drain issue is real. I have had my iPhone 4 for almost a year, and have monitored the battery usage. I never thought it was too bad. I updated to version 5.1.1 yesterday, and thought the battery was draining pretty fast. So I closed all open applications, charged to 100% and let it just sit with the screen locked. In about 2 hours, I went from 100% to 76% doing nothing. That is not imagination. That is not some app open and draining the battery.There are many other examples of this drain too - like losing 5% on a 3 minute phone call on 3G, or playing Scramble and losing about 2% per game played. I am surprised this board, and/or this thread is not being flooded with complaints by now. My guess is just give it time. In the meantime, I am on my way to 0% charge, just to see if that makes any difference at all after a full recharge. My guess is that it will make no difference at all, but I will report my findings.

  • Miranda Law Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Just like mine!

     

    In my case I think 5.1.1 update has nothing to do with it because the problem started 1 day before the update.

     

    The iPhone also gets very hot and drains like 50% in 2 hours... No apps in background and no location services.

     

    I have never paid so much to buy a phone... And never had this issue with any other mobiles.

     

    Dont get me wrong. It is a great device but this shouldnt happen...

  • Jaspy Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

    ok......after the first iOS 5 update my iPhone 4 and my iPad 1 had battery drain so bad it was sad really.  then after iOS 5.1 the problem was fixed.  my iPad could go in sleep mode for almost 1 week with almost not battery drain at all.  now....after the 5.1.1 upgrade the battery drain is back....and it seems worse now.  this is silly apple!!!  give me my battery back!

  • KieranBowley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This mate does actually sound like a hardware issue. Phone should not get hot like that, take your ohone back to Apple to get a replacement.

  • Miranda Law Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    i think you are right.

     

    i am just going to try restore to factory and then restore from backup to see how it goes.

     

    i will get back with the result (not a good one, i guess)

  • coldcrow Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I was going to post about this issue when I saw someone already posted.  I am also having batter loss since 5.1.1.  I will do what others suggested and let the battery die and charge it fully.

  • M4Specter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, I agree, the drainage issue is real.  I believe as more people update to 5.1.1, more people will be on here complaining about it. 

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    KieranBowley wrote:

     

    Was never this bad until updating to 5.1.1 this afternoon.

     

    Strange.  I updated this morning and I have about twice the normal battery left after 9 hours and 45 minutes.  93% remaining.  VERY light use (39 minutes).

  • rphunte42 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Miranda Law wrote:

     

    i think you are right.

     

    i am just going to try restore to factory and then restore from backup to see how it goes.

     

    i will get back with the result (not a good one, i guess)

    You might try opening the SIM drawer and make sure it is properly seated in the drawer.  It is possible for them to short if bounced around a lot.  Worth a check.

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (32,110 points)

    After a day on 5.1.1 my battery life is much better than it was on 5.1. Here I am at the end of the day with 60% left after an overnight charge; usually I would have gotten a low battery warning by now.

  • M4Specter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    rphunte42 wrote:

     

    Miranda Law wrote:

     

    i think you are right.

     

    i am just going to try restore to factory and then restore from backup to see how it goes.

     

    i will get back with the result (not a good one, i guess)

    You might try opening the SIM drawer and make sure it is properly seated in the drawer.  It is possible for them to short if bounced around a lot.  Worth a check.

    Has anyone tried this before?  Would that have a part to play in why battery drainage is what it is?

     

    Im open to any posibility that solves the issue...

  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (32,110 points)

    Battery drain, whatever the iOS version, is caused by apps running. It doesn't matter what the version is, or when it was updated. Sometimes battery drain gets worse immediately after an upgrade (ANY upgrade) because background apps were interrupted and left in an indeterminate state, but sudden battery drain can happen at any time. Get out of your head that it is caused by 5.1.1; it isn't. You will see similar posts after every update over the past 4 years. You can try killing all the background apps. If you have an Exchange email account delete it, reboot, and add it back. Or just try killing email in the Quick Launch bar and rebooting.

  • M4Specter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Lawrence Finch wrote:

     

    Battery drain, whatever the iOS version, is caused by apps running. It doesn't matter what the version is, or when it was updated. Sometimes battery drain gets worse immediately after an upgrade (ANY upgrade) because background apps were interrupted and left in an indeterminate state, but sudden battery drain can happen at any time. Get out of your head that it is caused by 5.1.1; it isn't. You will see similar posts after every update over the past 4 years. You can try killing all the background apps. If you have an Exchange email account delete it, reboot, and add it back. Or just try killing email in the Quick Launch bar and rebooting.

     

    I'll give this a try.  I'll kill all apps and try a reboot.  Maybe that will resolve the issue.  Im 99% sure that when I did the upgrade that I had shut all apps running down.  I'll also try one day this week, shutting down all the apps after I have used them (not leave them running the the background) and see what happens.  I usually only leave the text message app running during the day and/or safari because I am in and out of it so much.

     

    After that, I'll selectively see if I can find what app is causing the drain.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next