Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 Finder Crash Loop

I have got an old iBook G4 from a friend how can't fix this problem, and unfortunatly I can't either.

I know this problem is posted here milions of times but I tried everything possible, I just can't fix it.

I don't have an Mac DVD so I can't boot from DVD to repair/reinstall.

I have tried:

• Booting in safe mode - same problem, it's impossible to use the computer
  • Booting in a single user mode - I can use the command line only, but when I but it's still the same problem
  • Clearing NVRAM

I can't do anything so I don't know what's installed. I have made a video to describe excatly what's happening - but in short the iBook boots fine, Finder lauches and crashes imidieatly - you can't do anything, it's just stuck in a loop.

Here's the video (skip to 0:55 for the problem):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niwiVSVyBo

Any solutions? 😟

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:00 PM

3 replies

May 7, 2012 11:06 PM in response to krstep

Ideally, you need an install disc. Try looking on eBay.

It is possible to get into Disk Utility from the dock (the dock is a completely separate application from Finder), but that will only allow you to fix permissions on the startup disk; it won't let you repair anything that's been corrupted.

It may also be possible to trash your Finder prefs, either via the dock or the command line. I'm no Terminal expert, but I believe the command is 'rm' to remove a file.

A quick scan of my system shows Finder prefs located at:

Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/apple.com.finder.plist

Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.finder.plist

Removing a prefs file forces OSX to create a new one, although I'd proceed with caution when deleting anything inside the System.

iBook G4 Finder Crash Loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.