Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

burning a DVD to play in windows on a pc?

I burned a DVD in iDVD from a .mov file. The DVD played fine on my DVD player and TV, but is when played on a PC (Windows) there is no sound. Any idea why?

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:27 PM

Hi

Usually this breaks down to three things

• DVD brand

• DVD type

• Burn Speed

Yes brands matters - especially when doing Video-DVDs (Data-DVDs seems to be more tolerant) - Memorex and NoName etc. cheep brands are known problem makers. I only use Verbatim (more organic dye in them)

DVD+/-RW - usually do not work - DVD+R in more modern players - I use DVD-R as I found them to play on more DVD-players and on PCs

Burn Speed - is IMPORTANT - as by using a slower speed the resulting DVD has fewer Burn Errors = Plays better and on more devices.

Yours Bengt W

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2012 12:27 PM in response to olsedustine

Hi

Usually this breaks down to three things

• DVD brand

• DVD type

• Burn Speed

Yes brands matters - especially when doing Video-DVDs (Data-DVDs seems to be more tolerant) - Memorex and NoName etc. cheep brands are known problem makers. I only use Verbatim (more organic dye in them)

DVD+/-RW - usually do not work - DVD+R in more modern players - I use DVD-R as I found them to play on more DVD-players and on PCs

Burn Speed - is IMPORTANT - as by using a slower speed the resulting DVD has fewer Burn Errors = Plays better and on more devices.

Yours Bengt W

May 7, 2012 5:23 PM in response to olsedustine

I suggest you follow this workflow:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

When you burn to disk with Disk Utility there will be a drop menu to select the burn speed.

OT

May 8, 2012 12:52 AM in response to olsedustine

olsedustine wrote:

..... but is when played on a PC (Windows) there is no sound. Any idea why?

What software has been used to play the DVD on the PC? If it was Windows Media Player, that will most likely be your culprit as it is notoriously unreliable for DVD playback. Try dedicated software such as WinDVD or PowerDVD .... there's got to be a dozen of them out there, including free ones.

Other than that follow the excellent burning advice given by Bengt and Old Toad

burning a DVD to play in windows on a pc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.