Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transcoding Problem

Hello All:

Hoping someone can help me with this...

I just bought a Panasonic HCV700 camcorder and want to import 1080/60p footage.

I've watched Shane Ross' excellent Tapeless Workflow tutorial, and here's my problem:

I've copied and backed up the files, set a Logging Bin, opened up Log and Transfer, imported files, set Preferences

(AVCHD to ProRes 422 LT), and I get all the info in the Browser area except the image thumbnail--so video isn't importing.

I'm using Final Cut 7.0.3 with a Dual-Core Intel Mac Pro.

I've also tried 1080/60i with no luck. I also tried the trial version of ClipWrap 2, picture was horrible and sound was way off.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is the camera incompatible with my editing system?

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 7, 2012 4:54 PM

11 replies

May 7, 2012 5:25 PM in response to bithedz

The FORMAT you are shooting is incompatible. 1080p60 is something FCP doesn't work with, as it is a new, and really RARE format. It is only used to shoot footage intended to be slowed down to 30fps. There is no 1080p60 deliverable...master format. 1080 is a 30 frame master format. The web doesn't do 1080p60, no tape does 1080p60...thus why FCP doesn't really work with it. The NEW FCP-X does. But the old one, FCP 7...released in 2009...does not.

You need to use CLIPWRAP2 to convert the footage.

And again, only shoot 1080p60 if you intend to slow the 60fps footage down to 30fps or 24fps, as there is no 1080p 60fps deliverable...no way to master to that format.

May 7, 2012 6:57 PM in response to Shane Ross

OK, so I bought Clip Wrap 2, and after conversion, the picture freezes after about 10 seconds of play--audio keeps playing. So from what I can see, Clip Wrap isn't the answer. Is the format so rare and/or new that CW can't even handle it?

And is there a way to downconvert the 60p to 30p in Final Cut/MPEG Streamclip/other app?

I'd like to keep the camera, but if it's a weird format, I don't want to shell out the extra $$$ for FinalCut X..

Let me know...

THX!

May 8, 2012 5:47 PM in response to Colin Mcfadden

First of all, thanks for all the kind advice.

OK, so the plot thickens....

I've figured out what I was doing wrong with ClipWrap, and now I'm able to create ProRes 422 (LT) files from the .mts files. Copied the ProRes files to my external drive. Imported them into my FC timeline, and a dialog box asked to change sequence settings. OK...it chose Apple Intermediate Codec 720p30. I don't have an HD monitor, but it looked pretty good on the Canvas window. I put 5 clips (1 was 1080/60i just for grins and rendered it) in the timeline, exported out to Compressor with the generic 90 minute fast 1-pass DVD setting. Got the mp2 and ac-3 assets, and loaded them into DSP 4. Chose SD setting because I don't have a BR recorder--I also wanted to see how well it would dumb down into a standard SD DVD. Burned a disc and played it in an SD consumer TV and...

It looks terrible!

Any kind of panning has a serious moireing, and it looks like there's some other artifacting going on.

So, I obviously either need some workflow education, different camera, or different editing/DVD software.

Anyone want to chime in??

I'm all eyes & ears...:)

May 8, 2012 7:58 PM in response to bithedz

First off, I would stick to a sequence in FCP that matches your source - so ProRes LT 1080p60 or whatever. If you don't match them, you're just adding a generation loss unnecessarily. Let FCP adjust the sequence settings for you, and then don't touch them.

I don't think that's your real issue though - I suspect you're up against the general crumminess of Compressor's MPEG2 encoder. You'll find all sorts of voodoo online about how to get better results - one option is to use the optical flow functionality to get better resizing - smushing HD footage down to SD can introduce all sorts of weird moire and other issues if not done "smartly." Or, if you happen to have another dvd app (like adobe encore) give that a try.

But generally, I would bet that compressor is the weak point in your chain as you describe it.

-Colin

May 9, 2012 9:20 AM in response to Jim Cookman

Let me also add:

I'm a big fan of keeping the media pristine until it's absolutely necessary to stomp on it: That way there's only one place to look if the compression is bad, rather than have to chase along a chain of downrezzing and recompressions to search out the culprit.

That said, one can usually get a rather stunning DVD when starting with a 720p sequence export. Another thing you might experiment with is doing a full rez output then running the footage through compressor's advanced format conversion and making an SD file that you then compress for the dvd.

I don't have any real answers for you, and the only advice I can offer is to work with a short portion of your timeline and make small exports to do your tests with. Get a pad and pencil and take notes on your process. It'd be a b*tch to get a great conversion and not remember what you did. Good luck.

May 9, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Jim Cookman

Right...as I mentioned earlier, when I converted the .mts files to ProRes 422 (LT) with ClipWrap, I imported them into Final Cut. The dialog box came up and said it would automatically choose sequence settings (because there is no 60p). The setting was Apple Intermediate Codec 720p30.

I tried another tack after doing some checking on other forums. I exported to QuickTime Move > Current Settings, exported as a Reference Movie, then moved the QT into Compressor, using the 90 Minute Best Quality setting, then on to Studio Pro. The result was head and shoulders improved, although there was still some moire issues with any significant pattern. So it seems I'm getting closer to getting a decent SD DVD.

I also talked to an Avid friend, who suggested I try shooting 60i footage, and use a 1080/1920 60i sequence. Then once into Compressor, try Top Level Field Dominance in the Inspector.

I have a few more days with this camera before I can't send it back, so hopefully I can find a solution soon. Maybe I should look for a camera that shoots 30p instead?

Thanks again for all the good advice. Any other suggestions are welcome!

May 9, 2012 11:21 AM in response to bithedz

Hi,

I'm in Pal Land, but when I shoot with my little Panny STD750, I sometimes shoot 1080/50p. I convert my clips to Pro Res LT and then I have two choices in FCP, I can pop a clip onto my timeline and when it asks if I want to change my sequence to match my clip settings I click "yes" and edit in a 50fps timebase sequence. I then export and take my movie into Compressor and change the framerate to 25 when encoding.

If I want to edit in a 25fps sequence, I create a new sequence and go to sequence settings and set /aspect ratio to "HDTV 1080i (16:9)" Pixel aspect ratio "square", Field dominance "none", Editing Timebase "25" and compressor "Apple pro res LT" I can then edit in a 25fps sequence. FCP just drops every other frame.

Either way is ok for me.

Hope this makes sense.

DM

Transcoding Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.