Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iCal calendars be combined?

I have accumulated many calendars over the years. Many of them no longer need to be separate calendars, but I don't necessarily want to lose the data. Can I merge two or more calendars into one? As an alternative, can old calendars be archived?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 7, 2012 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2012 5:25 PM

To combine eg OldWork and NewWork in NewWork:

Select OldWork then menu File/Export as Export

menu File/Import, browse to the recently exported file, from the pop-up choose NewWork

Delete calendar OldWork

7 replies

May 7, 2012 6:19 PM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Had a little trouble when I tested this--I chose an untitled calendar with little data to test export/import. Export worked fine, but when I tried to Import I don't recall having a chance to select the calendar I wanted it imported into--it just started importing, and the progress bar has been going for a long time. Assuming I can work this out, here is a related question:

Is there an easy way to see what a particular calendar contains? Like a list view for its entire life span? I have been doing Year views, then selectively checking and unchecking calendars to see if anything changes. Very cumbersome. Also, what is a "Data File" calendar? I don't recall creating them.

May 12, 2012 3:06 PM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Here's the Date File calendar. As I recall it was created spontaneously a long time ago--it was not a category I created by choice. I assumed it might be for such things as notes that I added at the bottom of some events (like what we had for dinner at a holiday event).

User uploaded file

Thanks for the screenshot--it helped. Made it work the second time. I think the problem was that the calendar that I was testing it on did not contain any "new events."

Thanks also for the suggestion as to how to view old events in list form.

May 13, 2012 7:38 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Thanks, Austin. With your help I have worked through most of this. Finally recognized the qdfm extension as Quicken–one of them was an old repeating event (reminder to make a loan payment) that may have been a Quicken feature that linked to iCal. Who knew?

Not showing on the pic above is the short On My Mac list (Home, Calendar, Work). Still not clear what their function is in this brave new iCloud world. Can I export/import into their iCloud counterparts? Or would that cause some kind of fatal feedback loop?

Can iCal calendars be combined?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.