Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install iWork '05 on an "erase and install" of OS X Tiger?

I have no experience with any Apple OS prior to Snow Leopard. My daughter has an old M6498 G4 800 mhz, 60GB machine with a grey screen. Went through the steps listed in Apple Support. Disk repair would not work, archive would not work and ended up having to do the "erase and install" with a Replacement DVD sent to us by Apple. After many updates the computer is now booting up with OS 10.4.11 and Safari 4.1.3 installed.

I have a Replacement DVD of iWork '05 sent by Apple which was previously installed on this same machine before the problem with the "grey screen" and hard drive not working. Attempting to reinstall iWork but the iWork '05 DVD does not display in Finder or Preferences. What am I overlooking?

Thanks

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 7, 2012 7:51 PM

7 replies

May 7, 2012 9:35 PM in response to franklin1000

Hello Franklin,

Does ot show up in Disk Utility?

iWork '05 system requirements

• A Mac with a 500MHz or faster PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 (G4 for PowerBook): G4 or G5 recommended
  • 128MB of RAM; 512MB recommended
  • 8MB of video memory
  • Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later
  • QuickTime 6.5 or later
  • iLife '04 or later (recommended)
  • 1GB of available disk space
  • DVD drive required to install

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3879

May 7, 2012 10:44 PM in response to BDAqua

Not quite sure what the question is (sorry I'm unfamiliar with the Apple world pre Snow Leopard and not real conversant post Snow Leopard)

Have everything in your list except iLife '04. But iWork '05 was installed (from the same Install disk I'm trying to install from now) and working prior to the 'grey screen' that prompted the 'erase and install' of the OS.

This is what Disk Utility says about the iWork '05 DVD;

Verifying volume “iWork”

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Invalid B-tree node size

The volume needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

Volume needs repair

May 7, 2012 10:48 PM in response to franklin1000

Ifthat eror was on the iWork volume then there's not a lot of hop, but...

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

May 7, 2012 10:49 PM in response to BDAqua

And this is what Disk Utility reports about the HD;

Verifying volume “Mac Tiger HD”

Checking HFS Plus volume.

Checking Extents Overflow file.

Checking Catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking Catalog hierarchy.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

The volume Mac Tiger HD appears to be OK.

Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked

Volume passed verification

May 7, 2012 11:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Just one question before I attempt the "First Aid" you outlined; - if I have installed from an early version of 10.4 and have applied extensive updates via Software Update - is it valid to use Disk Utility from the early version to check and repair the HD?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm just being super cautious and trying to avoid redoing the reinstall.

And in response to your comment - it is the Replacement DVD for iWork '05.

There are a couple of circular scratches on the outer part of the DVD which I've tried to clean. It sounds like the drive attempts to start the program repeatedly but never quite makes it.

How do I install iWork '05 on an "erase and install" of OS X Tiger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.