Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restrict the go menu with workgroup manager

Hi all!

I work at a school and we have two apple mac suites all running snow leopard 10.6 and I'd like to restrict the Go menu and some items under the apple menu. Recently the apple mac tech has left us leaving me holding the reigns and I'm not mac orientated, I'm PC through and through. He has left me some instructions as follows

At present this is how we lock the menus down:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/Lockfinder/Lockdowngo/MenuBar.nib

sudo cp -r * "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MenuB ar.nib"

cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/Lockfinder/Lockdowngo/PreferencesWindow.nib

sudo cp -r * "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Prefe rencesWindow.nib"

This is how we unlock the menus:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/Lockfinder/Restorego/MenuBar.nib

sudo cp -r * "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MenuB ar.nib"

cd /Users/administrator/Desktop/Lockfinder/Restorego/PreferencesWindow.nib

sudo cp -r * "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Prefe rencesWindow.nib"

This takes AGES to do it on all the machines in turn so I was hoping there are features in workgroup manager to do this for me?

Everything is done under computer groups and not user groups because we have an Active Directory domain which handles all of our users.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks for reading

-Graham

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 8, 2012 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 6:44 AM

Is there a program on your admin computer called remote desktop?

The reason I ask is that it'll allow you to send unix commands (like the one you have pasted there) to multiple computers simultaneously.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

It's a totally invaluable tool!!

2 replies

How to restrict the go menu with workgroup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.