Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So just to be clear, if I am traveling outside of the country and don't want to have any data charges on my iphone 4s, should I turn off data roaming or cellular data or both? What is the difference between these two options?

So just to be clear, if I am traveling outside of the country and don't want to have any data charges on my iphone 4s, should I turn off data roaming or cellular data or both? What is the difference between these two options?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 8, 2012 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 5:12 AM

Switch Data roaming off, when outside your country.

Cellular data off: means that all data like e-mail, safari and push notifications are transferred only via wi-fi and not through a cellular network. This is valid for your country and within your home cellular network

Data roaming off: Similar to above, but outside your home country, i.e. in foreign countries. So there are no charges for using of Safari, Mail, MMS or other data services, simply because it is not possible to use these apps.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2012 5:12 AM in response to Paula1933

Switch Data roaming off, when outside your country.

Cellular data off: means that all data like e-mail, safari and push notifications are transferred only via wi-fi and not through a cellular network. This is valid for your country and within your home cellular network

Data roaming off: Similar to above, but outside your home country, i.e. in foreign countries. So there are no charges for using of Safari, Mail, MMS or other data services, simply because it is not possible to use these apps.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.