Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is mainstage good for pro use?

Posted this on the Logic discussion thread...

Playing night after night with mainstage, I always get some audio glitches.

Here is my setup:

mac mini server i7 quad core

8 gigs Ram

Minstage 2.2

Omnisphere 1.5

Kontakt 5.0.2

RME Fireface UC

Buffer @ 128 samples

Samplerate 48K

Any tips to tweak the Mac mini?

I have all audio files onthe second HD

energy saver, HD never goes to sleep

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:17 AM

3 replies

May 8, 2012 9:05 AM in response to busterkubrick

I have the same mac as you, with 8 GB also. I am using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 for audio inputs.

The only other difference is, I am not using Kontakt or Omnispherel: primarily Apple plug-ins, Toontrack Superior Drummer, and a few wave plugs. I am using a buffer size of 64, but 44.1 sample rate.

This is the most stable set up I have had, with no drop outs, glitches, crashes .... all is good. I would think you should be able to get good results also.

I suggest you take things out of the equation, one at a time, and see if you can isolate where the problem is coming from. Some suggestions:

- are all drivers and plug-ins current (especially RME)

- run MS in 32 bit if you are using any 32-bit plug-ins (the bridge can cause problems)

- if you have 64-bit plugs, try running MS in 64-bit

- try running without Kontakt for awhile, then without Ominishpere for awhile. Any changes?

- try 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. Good enough for live performance, less CPU.

May 9, 2012 2:43 AM in response to busterkubrick

For sure 44.1 it's enough for live performance. 24bit can make a difference in dynamics, but you will notice that only on a piano solo. In an ensemble situation 16bit will work for sure better.

Said that you should check that everything is using the same settings. To do so:

- configure every non-logic-native plugin to provide audio @ 16bit/44.1Khz

- go to audio-midi setup application (inside /Applications/utilities on your hd) and check the settings for your audio interface to be 16bit/44.1khz

- inside audio.midi setup also sometimes you have the option to use your audio device clock or internal clock. Verify which setting work the best.

If your plugins provides a different bit/frequency, Mainstage is forced to resample everything and chokes. So everything should be in sync.

Good luck, hope this solves something.

Message was edited by: chiccorosso - removed some typos.

Is mainstage good for pro use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.