Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator to extract multiple RAR files

Hi

I regularly have a folder that contains multiple sub-folders that contain .rar files in multiple parts. Is there a way to set Automator to watch the top level folder for any new folders that appear and if they have .rar files automatically extract them, either to the same folder or somewhere different, and then (hopefully) remove the .rar files...then move to the next folder and do the same until there are none left?

I'm usually able to get round problems with software, but very new to Automator but I can't seem to get this to work.

I would have thought there would have been a User Guide for this, but sadly doesn't appear to be. Does anyone know differently? :-)

Many thanks for any help.

Barry

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Automator

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2014 10:18 PM

I have worked out an easy way that is free & easy to implement. "The Unarchiver" has an option to delete archives after unarchiving, with Automator you can simply create a folder action that opens rar, zip & other file types you like in "The Unarchiver".

Check out my SnapGuide here on how to do it:

http://snapguide.com/guides/extract-delete-ziprar-files-with-mac-automator

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2014 10:18 PM in response to Barry Whitelaw

I have worked out an easy way that is free & easy to implement. "The Unarchiver" has an option to delete archives after unarchiving, with Automator you can simply create a folder action that opens rar, zip & other file types you like in "The Unarchiver".

Check out my SnapGuide here on how to do it:

http://snapguide.com/guides/extract-delete-ziprar-files-with-mac-automator

Oct 21, 2014 2:26 AM in response to hdready

Hi there,

Thanks for that awesome guide on your snapguide page i've been trying to work this out for months but couldn't until your guide - so thank you!

I have one little issue with it though i was hoping you could help me out with - after my unarchiver app extracts the archive (from a subfolder of "downloads" to "downloads" it then automatically opens up the file (a movie file in this example) with its default app. I don't want that second stage to happen. So i changed "default application" in automater to "the unarchiver" app instead. But then from my downloads folder after the workflow completes form the subfolder it then runs again on the downloads folder (which it shouldn't) and tries to open the movie file in the unarchiver too.

Screenshot of the automated workflow:

User uploaded file

In fact, when i just took a screenshot and saved it to my downloads folder i got this error pop up - i must be doing something wrong here as the automaker workflow seems to be running on the downloads folder too but now not even with a rar or zip file extension. PLEASE HELP 🙂

User uploaded file

Jun 11, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Barry Whitelaw

Hello everyone,

After setting up the Automator action, I pasted a folder that contains a sequence of .rar files (.r00,.r01,.r02.....rar). It simply opens the folder in which the .rar file is contained in. Sadly it is not extracting (uncompressing) the file. I have Automator Open Finder Item set to Default Application. If I set it to The Unarchiver, I get an error saying "the content could not be extracted with this program", just like the other person above mention.

I ensured that my DefaultApplication for .rar files is in fact The Unarchive.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom.

EDIT: Never mind, I realized I was putting a dot before the file extension. Everything is working now that I removed the dot.

Automator to extract multiple RAR files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.