Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 bluetooth dongels one MacBook Pro

Hello

do anyone know how to have 1 USB bluetooth dongle to windows 7 in parallels desktop 7 for use with a lego mindstorm and use the build in bluetooth for mac os x to a magic mouse

every time i plug in the usb dongle Mac os x gos ape **** and says theres no bluetooth and so the mouse stops working, and a restart is needed to get it working again. and parallels desktop is not taking control of the USB dongle fast enough to make mac os x not skewing up

hop there is someone that can help me... need bluetooth in windows 7 but also would like to use my magic mouse in both os's

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8,3 17" 2.4Ghz i7 8GB RAM OWC SSD

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:29 AM

okay, discovered this.

if I plug in my external USB bluetooth dongle, the internal shuts off, and if I connect my mouse to the external it works fine, then I can connect the internal to Parallels desktop, via the top menu under devices and usb and there selecting Apple Bluetooth USB device. and then I have bluetooth in both my mac and my windows.

the only thing is that when i shut down windows and remove the external dongle, the internal is still turn off, and can't get it to turn on with out having to restart... but other then that it works just fine this way...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2012 11:29 AM in response to Mulle

okay, discovered this.

if I plug in my external USB bluetooth dongle, the internal shuts off, and if I connect my mouse to the external it works fine, then I can connect the internal to Parallels desktop, via the top menu under devices and usb and there selecting Apple Bluetooth USB device. and then I have bluetooth in both my mac and my windows.

the only thing is that when i shut down windows and remove the external dongle, the internal is still turn off, and can't get it to turn on with out having to restart... but other then that it works just fine this way...

Aug 27, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Mulle

Wow... finally I found someone with EXACTLY the same issue as me.

We got our son the Mindstorms NXT 2 last week. The Mindstorms program (latest iso image from the Lego support page) on the MBP-2011 under ML (OS X 10.8.1) works well with the USB cable, but crashes every time with the internal BT device of this MPB.

So I bought a cheap BT dongle (2.1 from HAMA) and at first I had trouble installing it on the MBP. The dongle was simply not recognized. Then I started Parallels 7 and all the sudden the dongle popped up on the Windows XP side. Then the MBP all the sudden saw it, too.

I started the Bluetooth Explorer, which I only found through Spotlight, and I could then pick in one of the utilities menus, which BT adapter the Mac should use. I picked the external dongle and then within the WinXP VM via the USB menu I could use this external BT dongle for transferring data to the NXT brick. No problem on the WinXP.

When I tried to do the same with the Mindstorms program on the Mac. It crashed every time independently of which BT adapter I chose.

In other words, the BT drivers and communication within Parallels-WinXP work, but the native drivers on the Mac host don't. Very strange and very inconvenient.

Did you find another solution, which works for you?

2 bluetooth dongels one MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.