Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for a good laser printer for OSX 10.6.8

I need a decent laser printer. Using Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.8. I've given up trying to get the drivers to work on our office Xerox Workcentre 7328. I keep getting the "OTC at end of life" error and I'm sick of trying to download drivers and try this and that. All I need is to print text. I will buy a separate scanner for scanning pictures (any recommendations on that as well?). I have been seeing issues with Lion and with our Xerox troubles, I'm a little gun shy now. I was considering the Brother Printer HL2230 I saw on Amazon.

Does anyone have other recommendations or experiences to share? As far as the scanner goes, I'm looking for something for less than $100 if possible. This would be mostly for scanning pictures to put into slide shows. I found this one, also on Amazon: Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner (B11B193081)

Opinions?

Jason

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on May 8, 2012 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:45 PM

If at all possible get a Postscript capable printer, as I have found that year after year, Postscript printers have worked on all platforms across all operating systems without needing special drivers. Now extra printer features need vendor drivers, but basic printing seems to always work on a Postscript printer.

Just my 2 cents.

My current printer is not as cheap as you want, but it is an HP M1636dnf printer/scanner/copier/fax networked printer with iOS Airprint support. I fully expect the Postscript printing features to work going forward. However, I'm sure that I'll need HP drivers to effectively use the scanner/fax features, but so far HP has current drivers for the printer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2012 7:45 PM in response to copprtop97

If at all possible get a Postscript capable printer, as I have found that year after year, Postscript printers have worked on all platforms across all operating systems without needing special drivers. Now extra printer features need vendor drivers, but basic printing seems to always work on a Postscript printer.

Just my 2 cents.

My current printer is not as cheap as you want, but it is an HP M1636dnf printer/scanner/copier/fax networked printer with iOS Airprint support. I fully expect the Postscript printing features to work going forward. However, I'm sure that I'll need HP drivers to effectively use the scanner/fax features, but so far HP has current drivers for the printer.

May 9, 2012 2:07 AM in response to copprtop97

If you want to avoid any trouble in the future with new versions of OS X then as Bob has suggested the best action is to get a laser printer that supports Postscript. Looking at the specs for that Brother, it is a GDI device, meaning that may have rely on Brother producing an updated driver if the current driver does not work on the new OS. Now if you are not likely to update when the new cat is released then you should be fine. And there is also a chance that the current drivers will work. But Postscript support does future proof your printer, although it will cost more than $80 which is very cheap. If you do get that Brother make sure you also get the high yield toner cartridge which is a separate purchase. The starter cartridges included with the printers generally have a quarter of the toner that a full cartridge has.

As for the scanner, I've read good reviews about that Epson so it looks like a winner.

May 9, 2012 2:13 AM in response to copprtop97

I've also heard good reports about Epson's V300, but unfortunately I'll never buy Epson again due to ****** customer service I received from them over a multi-function printer (which I basically threw awaay after less than two months use...anyway, that's another story!).

There's a good comparative review here, tho' its a bit old:

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/whats-the-best-ma c-scanner-6-flatbed-scanners-tested-719559

They like the Canon 5600F, and it's one I'm going to check out myself if it's available in my neck of the woods.

Looking for a good laser printer for OSX 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.