Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot see my iPod in my iTunes or in Computer

I am running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite L650 - 0DM (which was purchased March 2011, and had repair work done on it from November 2011 to January 2012). When I first got my laptop, my computer and iTunes both recognized my iPod (iPod nano 5th gen), but for the past few months it has not. If I have my iPod plugged in before I start iTunes, my laptop will not open iTunes until I unplug my iPod. My laptop will also not shut down if my iPod is plugged in, and will only shut down if I unplug it. It will recognize that my iPod is plugged in and connected but in Computer, it does not show up. The iPod is recognized in Device Manager. If I try to safely eject my iPod, it tells me that other programs are using it, even though everything is shut down. This also happens with my flash drives, but my flash drives are working properly and are recognized in Computer. I know that it is not a problem with my USB cord or iPod because it works fine in my XP desktop. This problem is also happening with my brand-new iPod Classic, which I have not put anything on yet. I have used the original cords with both iPods and it still does not work. Other things I have tried to do that have showed no success:

• Restart computer
  • Uninstall/reinstall iTunes and all Apple programs
  • Renaming for a higher drive (Other drives aren't in E: drive)
  • Stopping the 2 high-speed USB ports on my laptop and re-enabling them (they are the only two USB ports I have)
  • Putting iPod into disk mode
  • Putting anti-virus programs on my computer and doing a full-scan
  • Disk defragment
  • Deleting Temp folder (I have stopped all programs on my laptop and it still won't let me)
  • Stopped iTunes/Apple services and re-enabled them
  • Updating Driver Software

The only thing that I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, which seems like extreme measures and I don't want to do it unless I absolutely have to.

I am incredibly frustrated and ready to throw out my laptop and two iPods at any given moment, so please help!

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on May 8, 2012 4:11 PM

14 replies

May 4, 2017 10:48 AM in response to n3cr0ph4g1st

I share in the problem above thst you proposed a solution for. I have tried what you said and the Roll back driver is still blurred. What do I do next? This ipod classic is new but my pc is unable to see it. It charges forever and when I turn it off by holding the centr and menu button it gives the Apple sign and a cracking sound as if it's burning up. I am frustrated to say the least. Thanx. Victor

May 8, 2012 4:22 PM in response to thinkpink8

Try this:

Plug in your iPod,

1. Right click My Computer >> Manage and select Device Manager in the left tab.

2. Click Portable Devices >> right click Apple iPod >> Uninstall
3. Unplug and plug your iPod, now wait for windows to re recognize your ipod [ In Device Manager, you will see the new recognized Apple Ipod ]
4. Press F5 to refresh your windows explorer and see if your Apple iPod will show up with a camera icon.

Otherwise, refer to these articles:

iPod nano: Error message saying that iPod 'could not be identified properly'

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3218

iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369

May 8, 2012 6:41 PM in response to wiclee

There was no heading listed Portable Devices, but I tried uninstalling it anyway and it still didn't work. I have also made sure that my computer doesn't turn off the USB Root Hub to save power. I also can't restore my iPod, as it is not being recognized in iTunes and will not connect if I turn the USB ports off. Also, if I leave my iPod plugged in for long enough and my laptop goes to sleep, my laptop will shut down unexpectedly. I have not tried updating the firmware for the motherboard.

Oct 11, 2012 9:39 AM in response to wiclee

Uninstalling in Device Manager did the trick for me. There was no heading "Portable devices" (I am using Windows 7) but there was "Other devices" and under that was iPod with a ?. I uninstalled it and then it all worked, and it was visible to Windows and to iTunes. This after spending hours trying all sorts of other solutions including reinstalling iTunes.

THANKS!

Mar 28, 2013 7:17 AM in response to thinkpink8

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm having the same problem with windows 7. It worked before but now when I plug it in it doesn't show up on my computer anywhere or in ITunes. It's not my cable becuase I'm able to connect and view on another computer. My IPod is working well and I have a new computer so don't kow what to do. I'm very frustrated, please help!

Feb 26, 2014 11:34 AM in response to thinkpink8

thinkpink8

I think that you may have told your computer (from the auto-play window pop-up) to open the device's folder location everytime it is plugged-in, and so it is recognizes it as an external hard drive. I've had this issue and resolved it.

Here is what solved it: Control Panel » Device Manager » Universal Serial Bus controllers » Right click on Apple Mobile Device USB Driver (if you can't find it - plug your Ipod) » Propreties » Click on the Driver tab » Roll Back Driver.

If the option is blurred-out, Update it.

Hope that solves everybodies issue.

I cannot see my iPod in my iTunes or in Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.