Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I publish from iWeb to my personal domain

Can someone tell me the exact steps I have to take to modify iWeb to publish my albums to my Personl domain. I found some instaruction about going to my domain cPanel and adding a new CNAME. The problem is that it asks for a NAME and a CNAME and I don't know what to put there. Now do I know to modify iWeb to replce the std "gallery.me.com" I don't know what to change that too.

My cPanel asks for...

Add a CNAME Record

Name:
CNAME:

If my domanname is www.peter.com, what do I use in the name field ? What should the CNAME be also ?

This is supposed to, after correcting iWeb, allow and iWeb publish to my personal domain.

Can anyone help me withthis?

TIA,

Peter

Posted on May 8, 2012 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 1:10 AM

You can't publish to a personal domain name and you DON'T publish to a personal domain name. If you publish a website you need to publish the site to a server and in this case it will be MobileMe and you will need a MobileMe account to be able to do this. Do you actually have a MobileMe account? If not, then you can't

CNAME is all about forwarding and is nothing to do with publishing, so if you have a MobileMe account you would firstly publish your site from iWeb to MobileMe so that it is published and then log into your MobileMe account and enter your domain name into the personal domain name settings. You then need to go to your domain name registrar and log into your account there and go to the DNS settings and set up CNAME forwarding, so if you had/have a MobileMe account, then the CNAME that you need to enter will be web.me.com. In name, you either need to enter your domain name or 'www' which stands for your sub domain or @ which represents your domain name and in some cases you would need to set up 2 CNAME forwards so that you enter @ for one CNAME that is forwarded to web.me.com and then www that is also forwarded to web.me.com. In this way if someone enters both domain.com and www.domain.com, they will get your website.

Do you actually have a MobileMe account? If not, then it is too late to get one now as MobileMe is going away at the end of June this year and will be replaced by iCloud that will NOT offer hosting.

If you want to host your website then take a lot of the many hosting companies that offer it. Start with http://www.godaddy.com or http://www.hostexcellence.com and there are many others to choose from and you can then just upload directly to their servers without having to set up CNAME forwarding at all.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2012 1:10 AM in response to PeterWor

You can't publish to a personal domain name and you DON'T publish to a personal domain name. If you publish a website you need to publish the site to a server and in this case it will be MobileMe and you will need a MobileMe account to be able to do this. Do you actually have a MobileMe account? If not, then you can't

CNAME is all about forwarding and is nothing to do with publishing, so if you have a MobileMe account you would firstly publish your site from iWeb to MobileMe so that it is published and then log into your MobileMe account and enter your domain name into the personal domain name settings. You then need to go to your domain name registrar and log into your account there and go to the DNS settings and set up CNAME forwarding, so if you had/have a MobileMe account, then the CNAME that you need to enter will be web.me.com. In name, you either need to enter your domain name or 'www' which stands for your sub domain or @ which represents your domain name and in some cases you would need to set up 2 CNAME forwards so that you enter @ for one CNAME that is forwarded to web.me.com and then www that is also forwarded to web.me.com. In this way if someone enters both domain.com and www.domain.com, they will get your website.

Do you actually have a MobileMe account? If not, then it is too late to get one now as MobileMe is going away at the end of June this year and will be replaced by iCloud that will NOT offer hosting.

If you want to host your website then take a lot of the many hosting companies that offer it. Start with http://www.godaddy.com or http://www.hostexcellence.com and there are many others to choose from and you can then just upload directly to their servers without having to set up CNAME forwarding at all.

May 9, 2012 8:08 AM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid,

Excuse my sloppy explanation. Yes as my original post explained I have had a mobileMe acount for 5+ years and have probably 20+ galleries up there.

I do, also, have my own domain hosted at "hostpapa.com", In their cPanel applet I used the DMZ domain setup to supposedly to be the first part of setting up iWeb to publish directly to my own domain by setting CNAME to web.me.com and NAME to www as you suggest in your reply. What I can't find in the forum is the post where someone showed us how to modify iWeb to publish to my doman instead of MobileMe.

And yes I realize CNAME is for forwarding and not publishing, my sloppy mistake. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Peter

May 10, 2012 1:33 AM in response to PeterWor

Your original post did not in fact state anywhere that you had a MobileMe account.

Also, you seem to be getting a little confused here with terminology which does make a difference.

Rather than a domain, what you in fact have is a domain name that is registered through hostpapa.com - it is not hosted as you say, but registered with them.

Also, iWeb will not and does not 'publish directly to your own domain'. iWeb cannot publish to a domain name or anything - you need a hosting account to be able to publish a website - do you have this? If not, then you will need to purcahse hosting too.

So, if you want to publish your site directly to hostpapa instead of MobileMe, then CNAME is NOT involved in this at all - you DON'T need it. CNAME is only a method of forwarding that you would use to forward your domain name to web.me.com when published on MobileMe. If you do not want to use MobileMe any longer, then you don't need this.

So you say that you have registered a domain name with hostpapa? Do you also have a hosting account with them too if they provide hosting? If not, then you need to purcahse a hosting account from either them or some other company that provides hosting.

When you have your hosting account and assuming that you are using iWeb 09, open iWeb and then click on your site name and your publishing options with become available in the drop down menu - rather than picking publish to MobileMe, select the publish to ftp option instead and fill in your details such as ftp name, username and password and then upload your site after testing your connection.

If you are using iWeb 08, then you'll need to publish to a local folder and use Cyberduck or Yummy ftp etc to upload your site to your server instead.

CNAME is not involved and if you purcahse hosting from another company other than hostpapa, then you will probably have to alter your nameservers so that they point to where your site is now hosted.

If you want to ditch MobileMe, then you don't need to use CNAME at all - it just isn't involved here.

Mar 14, 2015 4:57 AM in response to PeterWor

You can simply publish your personal domain by modifying iWeb. Just follow these steps:

• Launch “apple iWeb” application.

• Now simply choose any theme and start creating the pages to publish your album.

• Click on the title of site, located at left side of menu.

• Now enter the server setting. For your convenience you can see this image:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/_files/img/thumb/FTP_iWeb_GS.jpg/700px-FTP_iWeb_GS.jpg

How do I publish from iWeb to my personal domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.