9 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 11:18 AM by MadMacs0
Starhorsemac Level 1 Level 1

I've seen older posts on this and plenty newer in Lion,  but this just started with me. I've heard it might be due to the security certificate change in March. It certainly worked before then. Is there anything I can do to fix it or is this all on Apple's end? It will show the updates but gives me a network error when I try and install.


MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • MotoNomad Level 1 Level 1

    Have you intalled these updates already? (manually?)

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5242

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5228

     

    Have you checked you Mac for the Flashback Trojan?

  • MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5

    Make a list of all recommended update, go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/#Lion and download them all, then install them all.

     

    Run Software Update again to see if it works again. If not repeat until it does or there are no more updates.

  • softwater Level 5 Level 5

    Download the combo update for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (this includes everything you need, including uninstalling the Flashback trojan automaticall) directly from here:

     

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

  • MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5

    softwater wrote:

     

    Download the combo update for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (this includes everything you need, including uninstalling the Flashback trojan automaticall)

    Actually, it doesn't include the latter, which is only available with Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8.

     

    And I see I gave the wrong link for Snow Leopard. It should have been http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106

  • softwater Level 5 Level 5

    MadMacs0 wrote:

     

    softwater wrote:

     

    Download the combo update for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (this includes everything you need, including uninstalling the Flashback trojan automaticall)

    Actually, it doesn't include the latter, which is only available with Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8.

     

     

     

     

    Thanks. So aside from the combo update, it looks like the OP needs this specific download, too:

     

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1516 (Java for Mac OS X 10.6. Update 8)

  • MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5

    softwater wrote:

    So aside from the combo update, it looks like the OP needs this specific download, too:

    At a minimum, but since the 10.6.8 update came out last June there have been three Security Updates, four Java Updates (and I don't know whether those are all included in 8 or not) and Safari has been updated. Since we don't know when SU stopped working, that's why I told him/her to make a list.

  • Starhorsemac Level 1 Level 1

    I'm running Snow Leopard. Mightn't there be unforeseen side effects of running Lion updates?

     

    I don't have the trojan. I've run a few updates manually, but the software update still doesn't work. I tend to not download all software and OS updates at once, in case any of them have unexpected side effects. It makes it easier to figure out where and when the issues started.

  • MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5

    Starhorsemac wrote:

     

    I'm running Snow Leopard. Mightn't there be unforeseen side effects of running Lion updates?

    Yes, sorry about that link, I corrected it later when I realized you were not using Lion yet. I wish they would let us edit our entries after fifteen minutes, but they don't.

     

    The correct link again should have been http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosx106.

  • MadMacs0 Level 5 Level 5

    Starhorsemac wrote:

     

    I've run a few updates manually, but the software update still doesn't work. I tend to not download all software and OS updates at once, in case any of them have unexpected side effects. It makes it easier to figure out where and when the issues started.

    I'm guessing your problem might be solved by one of the Security Updates if those are still on your list. I understand the wisdom of doing things a few at a time, but anything involving a security issue should normally be dealt with immediately as the danger of not doing so is probably worse than the consequence of side effects.