Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free OS X Lion

HI1

i bought a macbook pro last year. My mac comes with OS X Lion 10.7.3. But when I bought it taht time, apple did not have any software backup DVD. SO, everytime, i need to re install I need to get online for hours and then it gets re installed. Recently i saw that we can buy OS X lion DVD from apple store. But as i have already purchased mac,s houldnt I get a free copy? How can I apply for a free DVD copy of the OS which comes free with my mac?

Please advice as it is really difficult to keep the computer onlne for almost a day to reinstall the OS.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:53 PM

Hi...

You can download Lion from the App Store and create a boot disc for free. It's a 4GB file so depending on your internet speeds, it may take sometime. Broadband high speed takes about 35 to 40 minutes.

How to create an OS X Lion installation disc | MacFixIt - CNET

Alternatively, you can purchase the Lion thumb drive, (no DVD disc is available from Apple for Lion) from the online store. You would still have to pay for the thumb drive regardless of whether or not Lion came pre installled.

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

edited by: cs

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2012 7:53 PM in response to drdhruv

Hi...

You can download Lion from the App Store and create a boot disc for free. It's a 4GB file so depending on your internet speeds, it may take sometime. Broadband high speed takes about 35 to 40 minutes.

How to create an OS X Lion installation disc | MacFixIt - CNET

Alternatively, you can purchase the Lion thumb drive, (no DVD disc is available from Apple for Lion) from the online store. You would still have to pay for the thumb drive regardless of whether or not Lion came pre installled.

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

edited by: cs

May 8, 2012 8:59 PM in response to drdhruv

Besides reinstalling the whole shebang when you screw the machine up, only other need for an installer is for fixing an occasional disk glitch with Disk Utility's Repair Disk. For that, Lion has the Recovery Partition preinstalled from factory ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ ), which you can also back up onto a USB stick ( http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 ).

Free OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.