Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4 doesn't show up under 'Devices'.

Hey Apple fanboys!

I am trying to transfer the photos from iPhone 4 to my Macbook Pro but I can't find the device under 'Devices'. I can see it in iTunes, however. I am running 10.6.1 so restart, re-install and all that jazz is tried and tested with failure. Anything beyond that I should try to see this as a USB device?

--Shreyas

Posted on May 8, 2012 7:35 PM

29 replies

May 8, 2012 8:19 PM in response to randers4

OK! It's not the case with WIN, is it? It allows you to copy the photos from the iPhone by popping a dialog box.

So, how do you generally transfer the photos from iPhone to your disk as the iTunes doesn't show my device. I would have expected it to show my iDevice to sync from apart from iPhoto. Am I mistaken?

Check this - screencast.com/t/3O9T1RBMmD

Regards,

Shreyas

Jun 28, 2012 8:16 AM in response to sgasthya

Not sure if it works on Macs but on windows based machines try this. Make sure your iphone is plugged in and right click on my computer or computer then click on properties. Find the device manager tab and click on it. Find portable devices and click on it, your iphone should show up on there. Double click apple iphone then click on the driver tab and hit uninstall. Unplug your iphone and plug it back it and let your computer find it and reinstall it's driver. I got mine working after I did this.

Jul 31, 2012 11:19 AM in response to Yellowdman

This helped me I was on with Apple Support for almost an hour. My 3g had the right driver but when I plugged my 4s in it showed no driver installed so I pointed my 4s to the folder where the 3g driver was it said it didn't install correctly but unplugged and plugged back in now all works well. Plus under portable devices I noticed my 4s just said iphone while the 3g said Apple iPhone after doing that the 4s said the same as the 3g now I can import pictures again. And it also shows up in computer as a device.

Sep 14, 2012 7:42 AM in response to jhgreenstein

As has already been said, the iPhone will not show up under Devices. It will show up as a digital camera if there are photos in the camera Roll.

If updating the drivers fails you must resolve that problem. You can't ignore it and expect the iPhone to work with your computer. The best thing to do is to remove and reinstall iTunes as described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925. Do not skip any steps, and disable your antivirus before installing.

My iPhone 4 doesn't show up under 'Devices'.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.