Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to force TextExit to open new windows in front of other windows already present?

I often want to open a New window in TextEdit to make notes from something I am reading on-line.

TextEdit's new window always opens behind other windows ... is there any way to force it to open in front of everything else?

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:38 AM

By default New Window opens in front of others.

You can try "Restore All Defaults" at the risk of losing other set preferences.

Text Edit > Preferences > New Document tab

Restore Defaults button at the bottom of the preference window.

Best.

7 replies

May 9, 2012 1:46 PM in response to dominic23

LOL!

I tried that, Dominic, and it opened a new window in front. So I clicked on the This solved my question in the eMail message, and that opened a new Safari window to this page. I tried to open a New Document one more time for confirmation, and it opened behind the Safari window. Perhaps I need to address something in Safari?

Thanks, though ...

Perhaps New Window opens in front of all other TextEdit Windows ... but Safari overrules ....

Blessings!

Jul 3, 2014 4:44 PM in response to BrianForbesColgate

Anyone ever figure this out? I would also like to know how to fix this as it would reduce the number of clicks required in order to get going in a TextEdit document. Restoring defaults did not work.

I think what's happening is this: you're in another application and decide you want to create a new TextEdit document. You right click on the TextEdit icon in the dock and select 'new document'. It creates the document but it doesn't make it active because it doesn't assume you want to switch to the textedit application. Whatever application that was active when you created the new document is the application that continues to be active. Yet, that's not the case vice versa. If you're in the TextEdit application and you right click on another application's dock icon to create a new document (whether it be a quicktime recording, new web browser window, etc.), it switches to that application, putting the application window in front, which is what is expected. So this looks to me like a programming oversight. I can't imagine why it would be intentionally designed this way.

Jul 3, 2014 8:35 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi, fellow Oregonian!

Thanks, I tried what you suggested. Unfortunately it's not quite what I'm looking for. I don't actually want to hide the other application windows. In fact I want to keep them open so I can take notes in a TextEdit document side by side. Maybe a better option would be to regular click on the TextEdit dock icon, just to activate the application before creating a new document. The only problem with that is if I have another TextEdit document open in another desktop space, when I click on the dock icon it transports me over to that already opened document, which is not what I want.

Jul 3, 2014 9:15 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Well, I'm not actually in Oregon. I'm just Oregon raised and an Oregonian at heart. 😉 But it's pretty hot where I am too!

Thanks, Moom seems like a handy bit of software but I think I can do most of the same functions with BetterTouchTool.

I also responded to you in the new thread:

How to open new TextEdit document in front of other application windows?

Is there any way to force TextExit to open new windows in front of other windows already present?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.